Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Turning board games into Hollywood blockbusters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
http://www.marketplace.org/topics/life/mid-day-update/turnin...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this would be about that awful Battleship movie coming out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Caligari
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Word Wars, even though definitely not a blockbuster (and a documentary), actually looks like it might be interesting.

Maybe Hollywood could do something with Risk?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fluisterwoud wrote:
I thought this would be about that awful Battleship movie coming out.


Apparently they spent $200 million to make that movie, much of it going into 3D technology.

Given that I'm having a hard time remembering the last non-awful video game-inspired movie, the idea that they're spending that much money on this is horribly unsurprising.

When I was involved in postal Diplomacy, I was thinking of making a movie about it centered around Dipcon. Then in the '90s the actual Dipcon came to Portland and was a bit of a letdown. I guess I had my own ideas of what a game convention should be like and the convention did not jibe with them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
fluisterwoud wrote:
I thought this would be about that awful Battleship movie coming out.


Apparently they spent $200 million to make that movie, much of it going into 3D technology.

Given that I'm having a hard time remembering the last non-awful video game-inspired movie, the idea that they're spending that much money on this is horribly unsurprising.

I think the only decent video game movie was Silent Hill. Everything else was pretty crappy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fluisterwoud wrote:

I think the only decent video game movie was Silent Hill. Everything else was pretty crappy.


Indeed.



It was NOT a blast!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning: tiny bit of language

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bigby Wolfe
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
There is one example of a good board game movie: Clue.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fluisterwoud wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
fluisterwoud wrote:
I thought this would be about that awful Battleship movie coming out.


Apparently they spent $200 million to make that movie, much of it going into 3D technology.

Given that I'm having a hard time remembering the last non-awful video game-inspired movie, the idea that they're spending that much money on this is horribly unsurprising.

I think the only decent video game movie was Silent Hill. Everything else was pretty crappy.


Mortal Kombat was pretty good.

I actually enjoyed Super Mario Bros.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Where is Busen Memo when you need it? =D
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paladin_fin wrote:
Where is Busen Memo when you need it? =D

I see your Busen Memo and raise you one Titty Grab...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav Åkerfelt
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toucé good sir.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Hollywood would have to work amazingly hard to ruin Candy Land. We can but pray they manage it devil

- Pauli
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
bournizzle wrote:
Indeed.

It was NOT a blast!

I thought this was a joke movie poster -- wonder how much of a tax write-off the studio got?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
bournizzle wrote:
Indeed.

It was NOT a blast!

I thought this was a joke movie poster -- wonder how much of a tax write-off the studio got?


It came out in '88 or '89... (maybe '90) American kids would have eaten a turd-and-tapeworm sandwich at that time if it had a pricetag and a Nintendo logo on it. Pretty sure the film made money. Not as much as "The Wizard" ("Wizard" was waaaaaay cheaper and came out closer to christmas) but it was kind of a lock.

I find "Clue" dire, but its essential formula had the right idea. Same thing would work well enough for "Monopoly" (without the mystery, of course). The "Battleship" transformation is completely weird to me and involves some kind of promotional investment that's not operating at face value. They took one of the most easily parsable premises available for this kind of thing--some ships are gonna fight--and used it as an opportunity to create a sci-fi spinoff line? Desperation measure and it stinks of a wet dog. Particularly this one:



You know what I'd pay to see? Werner Herzog's "The Settlers of Catan." Man, that would be BLEAK.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.