Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Berry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, I was really hoping to get in a game of "Here I Stand" on the Friday, I haven't yet played before though, is anyone willing to show the ropes (I have played other CDG's over 300 times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaarin Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I could be there to play and teach....but I'm in Italy. In any case, be sure to read the tips at http://www.gmtgames.com/p-248-here-i-stand.aspx before you play.

I'd encourage you to NOT play the Hapsburgs the first time you play--requires lots of diplomacy and management. My favorite side is the Protestants, but you have to like the religious game. England is fun, but there are a lot of special rules related to Henry looking for an heir. France is probably the most straight-forward, but it is my least favorite side to play If you like fighting and rolling dice, the Ottomans are usually a good choice. Whichever side you choose, read up on the special rules for it. One of the interesting (and difficult) things about the game is that each side is different.

Playing three-player for your first time isn't bad. Things move along more quickly--there's more for you to do and not so long between turns--and there is less diplomacy. I like 6-player a lot, but my husband will only play 3-player for those reasons. It's also not a bad idea to try to tournament scenario for your first time. The full game is more fun, in my opinion, but it is much longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Porper
msg tools
Alex,

There are a couple of hard core wargarmers in the back that will happily teach Here I Stand. I've seen it at the last couple of conventions. In fact, I even managed to get in and learn the game myself. Played a five player game as the Ottomans and came in second (very nearly won it).

I would highly recommend playing as the Ottomans your first time. They are much easier to play, and there is little risk of making a dumb decision that hampers you for the rest of the game. There will be plenty of down time between turns so that you can watch how the whole protestant/catholic thing plays out.

Way in the back of the boardgame room next to Jerod, there should be the wargamers. I've recently seen Here I Stand set up on Sunday morning, but no idea when it may be there this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.