Subject: What is a room in regards to chests? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
West Chester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
In the rulebook, it says that the Consul places as many chests are there are heroes. The limitations being that you have to have to have at least one chest on a tile, and you can't put a chest in room that the heroes start in. This makes me wonder what is the definition of a "room?" Is room the same as "dungeon tile?" In the illustration, it shows a chest in the tile the heroes start out in. Is that a mistake? Or does a room mean the enclosures within the tiles. Like the one crystal tile has 4 different colored room with a walkway in the middle. Is that considered 4 rooms, or 5 if you count the walkway? What about some of the other irregular tiles where it's not so obvious?

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the game. Well, not so much in playing it since I'm in the process of painting it. I'll make sure to post pics when I'm done too. Thanks!-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vam bob
msg tools
A room is one face of a double-sided gameboard.

A tile is actually just one of the many small squares on the gameboard that you use to measure distances or just place figures.

I had the same problems until I figured this out and then everything else made sense.

With regards to chest placement, you have to put as many chests as there are heroes, these chests can be anywhere, in any room even side by side.

The ruling where you may only place one chest per tile is just to make it clear that you cannot stack multiple chests onto the same square (tile) and that each chest must occupy its own square (tile). It seems a little bit obvious but I guess they made this an explicit ruling as the chests dont actually have a circular base (for occupying space) and so they thought some tricky kobolds might take advantage of this obscurity!

Have fun!

>Also Consul is a pun on the word Console. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaron Frost
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
We have played as if each piece of game board is a room, and we just assume that the rulebook made a mistake in saying there can't be a chest in the same room as the heroes when they start. It's not the only thing the book is unclear about, and there's no sense in making everything more complicated than it needs to be. Just put it on the other side of the room and get on with the game, I say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessicatz Fairymeadow
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
Quote:
We have played as if each piece of game board is a room

Bosses can't spawn in a "room with a hero in it", and if you have a hero on every game board (what you call a "room"), which is not uncommon, then the boss cannot spawn.

That way of interpreting the room/tile definition as it is in the rulebooks right now doesn't make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaron Frost
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
But in that case, we'd just put the boss in any room, as far away from the heroes as possible (and I might be playing it wrong, but I've always had to keep the heroes together to avoid being swarmed and killed). I guess my friends and I pretty casual about these sorts of things. I personally think that keeping track of these ambiguous sections of each game board is too much work to be worthwhile. While the rules are indeed unclear about the room thing, the game boards also make no effort to clearly separate one room from another, so I guess I'd rather pick the variant that keeps things simple. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcos Hidalgo
Spain
Madrid
MADRID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One hero per tile... so the boss appears closer to one hero (on his same tile), sounds ok for me, In multiplayer games there are always some dumb player who ends the level too close to the BOSS spawning point and gets instantly killed.

Anyway that tactic seems wrong to me, heroes work very well toghether, if you scatter them you can get killed at ease. I remember playing Gauntlet at the arcade and crying out "C'mon men!! give me more screen" letting me near the border of the screen and suddenly attacked by hordes of ghosts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.