Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

After working with WizKids on the previews for Mage Knight Board Game, they have contacted me and asked me if I will do the same for this game.

I have agreed to do this, and at some point before the release of the game, I will be doing some sneak previews, explaining the mechanics of the game and spoiling some of the cards.

Wizkids are hopefully going to send me an early preview copy of the game which I can use to do some demo games and learn how to play properly, rather than just trying to imagine how it would go from reading the rules.

However....

Please understand that I am not an employee of WizKids. I am not on any commission for games sold.

My previews will be factual - I will explain rules and show cards. I will not go on and on about "you must buy this game now". I got accused by some of being 'nothing more than a salesman' before, and whilst previews increase awareness, which I would have assumed increases sales, that is not what I am here for.

Right now, I have the rules, read them twice and am looking forward to getting a copy of the game so I can try it out. Please dont ask me to reveal anything yet about the rules, because there is a preview schedule which I have to stick to.

Suffice it to say the idea of playing the bad guys brings a nice twist to the LotR series of games.

At present, I am not 100% sure of the release date or when my previews will start, so all I can say is "soon (TM)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Moneta-Koehler
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Paul.

Looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news Paul.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent to have a previewer of LOTR Nazgul here, i have big expectatives about the game, i´ll be following the news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nameless Necromancer
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
Do what yhou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." - Aleister Crowley
badge
"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." - John Galt
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on 'the bubble' as far as buying this, so I'm looking forward to your previews to help make that decision. Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: The nice people at WizKids have hand made me a prototype version of the game and it arrived in the post yesterday. The actual game itslef is still at the printers, that wont arrive with me until just before I need it to demo at a convention, so they have sent me this copy so that I can get to learn how to play.

And I'm sorry if this is a bit of a tease, since I cant really show any images, because it is literally a hand-made version, and from experience, posting images of this leads to people getting a false impression - so I've been asked not to.

Also, the video that I will be doing of the game - this will also have to wait until I get the actual proper copy of the game.

I might ask if they will let me post a couple of images from cards in the game ahead of time as I realise it is a little unfair for me to post this and then make people wait a few weeks more before any new info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ok if pics wait a few weeks.

But it would be nice to hear about your thoughts of the game and your experience with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joakim589 wrote:

But it would be nice to hear about your thoughts of the game and your experience with it.

Yeah we just need descriptions, not pictures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
:l
mbmb
joakim589 wrote:

Pictures can wait... But I'm afraid we'll have to insist on a couple of drawings... Stick figures is an acceptable, if secondary, alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Coeur d'Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to check this out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When is the first installment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:

Well... Funny you should ask.

My 'straight from the printers copy' arrived yesterday

I've agreed that I will do the previews starting in April. However, I'm discussing with them the possibility of doing a couple of mini-spoilers before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Warrender
United States
Rockaway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They asked the right guy. I probably wouldn't plan to buy Mage Knight were it not for Paul's previews. Guess I should budget out to buy this one as well then......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After seeing Paul's incredible work helping us "see" Mage Knight prior to release, I'm really happy to hear he's on board with this one as well.

Now stop teasing us, Paul, and tell us something about the game! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Raolin wrote:
Now stop teasing us, Paul, and tell us something about the game!

It's got Nazgul in it....
You will learn to invent new offensive names for Aragorn every time he comes out, but then if you actually manage to kill him, you will witness Nazgul having a group hug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Monofas
msg tools
So Paul,

Can you play this as full co-op? Assuming no, cause of the bidding mechanic existence?

What to bid when you are friend with the opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizkids page says
The Lord of the Rings: Nazgul Board Game includes rules for 3 difficulty settings and optional rules for full co-op play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Monofas
msg tools
Now that was fast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fourth game to be played tonight - but this time with the actual production copy and not the prototype

Anyone in Exeter, UK who wants to join in, let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wished Id read this thread yesterday, would have travelled up to Exeter for a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
lfisher wrote:

Well... Funny you should ask.

My 'straight from the printers copy' arrived yesterday

I've agreed that I will do the previews starting in April. However, I'm discussing with them the possibility of doing a couple of mini-spoilers before then.

When will we see some previews?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very soon. I'm starting to do the video tomorrow, but that wont come until later. The plan was to start around now(ish), and do about 4 or 5 of them, one a week in the lead up to the release.

Will probably publish the video near the end of the previews, although I am doing 2 of them - one will be a rough overview and the components, the other will be a sample turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will DeMorris
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will we see a preview #3 soon? I've found your articles about Wizkids releases very informative and I'm looking forward to more.

-Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only just updated Preview #2

Preview #3 will start once Preview #2 is finished and there's a few more bits for that so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.