BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Board Games Framefork rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lumir Kojecky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hello,

I have to implement a framework for board games (as my bachelor thesis). I don’t have many ideas so I please you for help me with it. I thought about implementation common parts of board games and rules.

In common parts of board games I thought about: game, player, the board, pieces/figures, dices, cards.

I have no ideas in rules implementation yet. I didn’t have any time for it until now

I would like to ask you for help. I am grateful for your every idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andres F. Pabon L.
Colombia
Bogotá
DC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've thought about doing that before, but never got the time.

My initial advice would be to focus on abstracting mechanics. Think about the kind of board games you want to be able to implement, and think about their common mechanics. After you've done that, you might start designing classes to implement such mechanics.

For example, say you want to implement Monopoly-like board games (yes, I know, boooring). You might need to abstract concepts such as the roll-and-move mechanic, so a class might be the board, with it's spaces. Perhaps the spaces is another class, with connections to other spaces. And of course, the player pieces are another class, that are always in a particular space, and might have methods to move the piece forwards.

Of course, you can develop from there as far as you want: for example, the spaces might have connections in different directions (as in The Game of Life), and players might need to choose, when moving the piece, their direction.

I know I haven't been particularily helpful, but the general concet is just too abstract. I tried to think about a truly general framework, but it's not that direct of an approach. You really need to focus on mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you pick the topic yourself?

Have a look at Vassal.

Also check out this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look here and here for a decent breakdown of boardgame mechanics that would need to be accounted for in a computer boardgaming engine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hernan Ruiz Camauer
Argentina
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also be interested in joining this BGG Guild, or at least mining what has been posted there for useful information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hunt
msg tools
I think this kind of thing must be quite common as a project choice. I signed up to BGG today to come and have a look at what has been discussed in this area, because I have proposed a project based on a web-based multiplayer board game for my Open University computing project. My supervisor has suggested that I focus on one game and make sure that I choose one that is simple enough to implement within the time available. The idea for my project is that I will implement one game, and in the process try to make it as modular as possible, which will give me an idea of what a framework would require.

I'm still trying to pick a game to base my project on, I think Bohnanza might be interesting because it is pretty simple, but the trading phase could be tricky to implement enjoyably.

As others have said, a general board game framework is going to be difficult to design. It could be very easy to make assumptions that excluded using the framework for particular games. What limitations have been placed on the project? Are you developing for a particular language? Are you targeting GUI applications, or are you trying to develop a web framework?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lumir Kojecky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
The aim is to analyze common features and principles of board games and design environment for the design of these games. During the solution, follow the following points:

1. Meet, categorize and describe the principles of board games.
2. Create an application framework analysis.
3. Design and implement the application framework that allows to parametric define various board games.
4. Test this framework by implementation of a sample game.

I would like to implement this framework in C# (.NET).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
As noted above, look at Vassal. Also, look at the iOS app Everygame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Uckelman
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kojeckyl wrote:
The aim is to analyze common features and principles of board games and design environment for the design of these games.

I'd like to see what you come up with when you're done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Christie
Australia
Perth
W.A.
flag msg tools
Frammin' at the jim-jam
badge
Frippin' in the krotz
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look here https://github.com/Code52/Samurai

The code52 guys are a bunch of open source programmers that come up with and implement a new project every week. Week 4's project was "Samurai", a simple turn based strategy game (so effectively a board game), implemented using ASP.NET MVC 4 as the server, with several client (text, windows phone).

All of the source is there, along with design notes etc. This crew is pretty switched on, so most of the design is implemented using something along the lines of best practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.