Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harri Toijala
Finland
Valkeakoski
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THE BIG REMATCH

So, it is Giants versus Patriots in the Superbowl again. Rematch for the Superbowl XLII. Looking at the stats and the real life teams Patriots are again a favourite, but it's still Eli Manning: the fourth quarter comeback man. Let's see if he can pull one off again and make the history repeat itself.

Anticipation for Sunday is growing and I sat down with my brother-in-law to play the Predict the Winner matchup. He has been a true Patriots fan from the moment he saw his first NFL match years ago. When Raiders and Vikings are out, I usually turn into Manning brothers so I have my hopes up for the big upset again this year.

NYG vs NE

1st quarter

First quarter was Patriots domination in offence. They scored a TD and a FG with their first two drives. Giants had two three-and-outs and Eli was sacked 2 times. It seemed that this will be a very one sided match. But then at the last minute of the 1st quarter Giants' D stepped up and had an interception which was returned to TD. Perhaps it was the over-joy of the whole team to have the game's first TD, but the following extra point attempt was not succesfull. So after clear Patriots domination the score after 1st was 7-10.

2nd quarter

Patriots continued their rally with two more TD drives. Also Giants got a little rythm into their offence and managed to pull one good drive resulting a TD, but Patriots special teams made their momentum vanish by returning the following kick-off all the way to end. Giants' passing game was starting to work quite good but a sack and a fumble denied the points at the end. All in all the first half presented a lot of unusual plays as there was 2 missed extra point attempts, kick-off return TD, interception return TD and sack with a fumble! Score at the half-time 13-30.

3rd quarter

As you might expect, something happened in the half time. Giants were determined to not give up and they opened the second half with a 77 yard TD drive. Manning was 5-6 with 59 yards and even the running game was working with couple of nicely played draws (3-for-18). Giants' D was also starting to slow Brady down and the Patriots had to punt for the very first time in this game. But just as the momentum was starting to build up, Patriots defence forced Giants to punt and that punt was returned to TD ! It seemed that when ever there was a little hope for Giants, Patriots special teams took it away. Score after 3rd quarter 20-37.

4th quarter

Giants started the 4th quarter with almost identical TD drive to the one in the 3rd quarter. Again some nice throws from Eli and draw plays in between. However, also Patriots scored a TD and following a forced punt by the Giants, the Patriots managed to add a FG into their score. There was 8:00 left in the clock and the score was 27-47. All hope was lost for the Giants.... or was it... just when we thought that the game is over, Eli started to show what the 4th quarter is for: comebacks and late game heroics! First he organized a 2:20 minute 80 yard TD drive and following a succesfull onside kick he made another TD drive with 60 yards. All the sudden the game was 41-47 ! With everything on the line the Giants had a decision to made. Less than 3 minutes on the clock and down by 6 points. Would they rely on their defence or try the onside kick once more? They decided to try the onside kick.... and it failed. But the defence was angry and wanted to show that they should have trusted them in the first place. They forced the Patriots three-and-out. So, Giants got the ball back one more time with 1:30 left on the clock. They had burned all their time-outs and because of the failed onside kick their field position was awful. Ball was on their 4 yard line. 8 throws, 2 spikes and 2 incompletions later they were 32 yards shy of the miracle. Total passing yards of 493 with 4 TDs was not enough to beat the Patriots. Not this time...

NYG – NE final score 41-47

NYG
rush 19-60yds, 1td, 1fmb
pass 39-55 493yds, 4td, 0int, 4sack-39yds

NE
rush 28-207yds, 2td, 0fmb
pass 13-23 171yds, 2td, 1int, 1sack-6yds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob and I just finished playing Super Bowl XLVI twice.

First game, Bob was the NY Giants and I was New England.

FINAL SCORE: New England 30 New York 14

Then we switched sides; I played NY, and Bob played New England.

FINAL SCORE
: New England 27 New York 17

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harri Toijala
Finland
Valkeakoski
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not looking good for the Giants...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.