Popular Tags: [View All]
Philippe C
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Flying creature in a tree. Does it get camouflage ?

Are they flying above the trees or are those infinity trees ?

If they get camouflage, a demon soaring in trees is way more dangerous than a demon a dungeon (without flight) from what we can observe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if they "land". I think it's the FAQ that goes into detail about this, but for a Flying Soaring creature to gain the benefits of a tile feature, it has to effectively state that it's no longer flying soaring. So they can get the benefit but then they lose the benefit of flying soaring, so it's an either or thing.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe C
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I haven't found a clear description of this, but every time the fly ability is mentioned, nothing bad on the ground seems to be affecting it (traps, water). So I think that I can deduce that they are not affected by terrain bonus or malus if they are not swooping.

They are still affected by auras and the +4 range is not calculated when checking the aura range, right ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's in the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: Do Soaring creatures benefit from terrain?
A: While a creature is Soaring, it ignores the terrain in its
current space. A Soaring creature may choose to "land"
and disable its Soar power until its next turn; if it does this
it is affected by terrain just like any other figure.

Current Descent FAQ, pg 15

So if a Soaring creature (not Flying, there's a subtle difference) wants to be in the trees, it has to turn off its Soaring ability.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe you could lump Fly into that, since there are some indoor tiles with Trees now and the OL may want a flying creature to benefit from a tree.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
silence9123 wrote:
I haven't found a clear description of this, but every time the fly ability is mentioned, nothing bad on the ground seems to be affecting it (traps, water). So I think that I can deduce that they are not affected by terrain bonus or malus if they are not swooping.

They are still affected by auras and the +4 range is not calculated when checking the aura range, right ?

Fly
Figures with the Fly ability may move through enemy figures and obstacles as if they weren't there. However, flying figures cannot end their movement in a space containing another figure or an obstacle that blocks movement. A flying figure may end its turn in a space containing an obstacle that inflicts damage without effect.

First lets get this very clear. Fly is not soar. The two are different abilities.

So talking Fly, not Soar, the only thing fly does is let you move through figures and obstacles as if they weren't there and end your turn on a damaging obstacle without suffering the damage.
Any effect from an obstacle that does not trigger in movement (entering the space) still affects a flyer. That includes loss of LOS if in a pit, Shadowcloak from Trees, Fog effects, Corrupted terrain etc.
Think of flying as more of a low hover ability, mostly expressed in large easy jumps or hops. It is only active when moving, except for the end of turn on damaging effect part, and it only works on obstacles and figures - flyers can still get surprised by spiked pits and have difficulty passing scything blades or drugged darts (traps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
"Think of flying as more of a low hover ability, mostly expressed in large easy jumps or hops."

This is confirmed by the indication in The Mine : the boss is a Spider which "thanks to its agility, has Fly"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.