Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Gaca
Germany
Ravensburg
flag msg tools
badge
Build your own destiny.
mbmbmbmbmb
after countless rounds of TS (loving the new mounted board) we're looking for a new game. any suggestions? must be for 2 players (2-4 doesn't hurt but the focus is on 1on1).
- owned games besides TS: barbarossa to berlin, paths of glory, hannibal: rome vs carthage, napoleonic wars, world at war, guess i'll give '1960: making of the president' a try for a short game, looks promising
- setting: WWII preferred
thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Riekkinen
Finland
Jyväskylä
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Well if I had a regular wargamer buddy with the WW2 intrest, I would get advanced squad leader.

If you are interested in the card driven games, For The People, Pursuit of Glory & Triumph of Chaos seem quite popular among hardcore CDG fanatics (even though not rated so high here). They are all quite long games however.

From non-wargame CDGs I would suggest 1989 to you (the most similar to TS). Many experienced CDGers feel issues are too strong in 1960 (eg people just keep putting tit-to-tat to them). Well its still quite enjoyable game .

And for WW2 there is card driven game named Shifting Sands also. I haven't actually played it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about TS's brother: Labyrinth: the War on Terror.

It's obviously not WW2 but you did say "preferred". Also, Columbia Games puts out some really good Block games like Julius Caesar, Hammer of the Scots, Richard III: The Wars of the Roses. There are others.

All of those games are deep in strategy and replayability, yet mechanically simple and easy to learn, and a ton of fun to boot.

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Time to switch to a scenario-based game for variety.

So why not giving Combat Commander: Europe or Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 a try?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gaca
Germany
Ravensburg
flag msg tools
badge
Build your own destiny.
mbmbmbmbmb
forgot about labyrinth, that's on top of my.. let's say opponent's wish-list
thank you for the quick responses, will check those out. not sure what it was but something bothered me about ASL.
so i'll have to get:
- advanced squad leader.
- For The People
- Pursuit of Glory
- Triumph of Chaos (playing time is not an issue)
- 1989 (have to look that up, the only mentioned game i don't recognize)
- Shifting Sands
- Labyrinth: the War on Terror.
- Julius Caesar
- Hammer of the Scots
- Richard III: The Wars of the Roses
- Combat Commander: Europe
tyvm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely recommend 2 GMT's :
No Retreat! The Russian Front
Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Washington's War, which is similar to Hannibal. And for something more complex you should take a look at Stalin's War, which is similar to Barbarossa to Berlin but it has a hex based map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at 'Hearts and Minds', a CDG of the Vietnam war, I love playing it with the soundtracks for 'Full Metal Jacket' and 'Apocalypse Now' playing in the background

-John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
driehm wrote:

Triumph of Chaos (playing time is not an issue)

I was keen on a game covering the Russian Revolution but research made me decide against it. The deal breaker was the heavy scripting, a trouble with many strategic-level war games. Because you can do the thing the way it ought to have been done, the results can be unbalanced For instance: the Germans ought to have been able to bring down the Soviets in WWII before that first winter. Stalin was warned and warned again that Hitler would attack, which he disregarded. Soviet frontline troops were unprepared and soon isolated. If the German generals hadn't stopped and waited for a surrender . . . You can have playability, or accuracy, but not often both.

In any case, ToC solves this by refusing to let the game leave the rails of historic accuracy. The Whites can't win. It's likely they wouldn't have won; but it isn't much fun to play a game you know you're going to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
Strike of the Eagle

Fits a lot of the criteria. Just picked this one up myself. Great game, fairly light weight; good for introducing players to a wargame. Great mechanics, as well. Can be played with 2-4 players and players fairly well with 2, 3, or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wojtaszcyk
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring is a great 2 player game and can be played with 3 or 4 with teams or special factions rules, though it plays best in 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All good suggestions. To boost my UK credentials there is also Wellington , Wilderness War and Unhappy King Charles! all of which I enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Georgeais
France
Paris
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I didn't played it yet, but "Liberty Roads" has good review too. My next game I think, if I can find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ægir Æxx
Iceland
Reykjavik
Gullbringusysla
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Sekigahara

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out 1989 - http://www.gmtgames.com/p-304-1989.aspx also by Jason Matthews. It has made the P500 cut, I think the billing is in the end of february, so You can still get it at reduced price.

We've played a lot of TS at home, Labyrinth didn't really engulf us, so Im really looking forward to this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.