Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

The number of tiles in Carcassonne is 72, which is divisible by 2, 3, and 4, so all players get the same number of turns. When you add Inns & Cathedrals, 18 more tiles go in, and the number is no longer divisible by 4. Do two players get an extra turn then, since the game ends when the tiles run out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomly remove two before the game begins if it concerns you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Officially no. There really is no benefit to having an even amount of turns as it is not the turns that give you points but instead competing for and completing the features.

FWIW, the "72 tiles" does not divide evenly anyway. The start tile is placed before the game starts, so no matter how many players with the base game, you are dividing up 71 tiles, not 72. Even in the base game, there isn't even number of tiles for any number of players.

Finally, expansions can change the number of tiles that you play - like when the builder grants another tile. So you can never count out exact turns anyway.

Point being, it is fine as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also draw a tile that is unplayable, which is discarded out of the game, and a replacement is drawn, which again will result in not every player getting the same number of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Broox
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
almo2001 wrote:
Hi!

The number of tiles in Carcassonne is 72, which is divisible by 2, 3, and 4, so all players get the same number of turns. When you add Inns & Cathedrals, 18 more tiles go in, and the number is no longer divisible by 4. Do two players get an extra turn then, since the game ends when the tiles run out?

The start tile throws off all of your math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the info, guys. I've actually only played Carcassonne once. A friend of mine asked me this question, so I asked here since without playing or knowing the rules, I couldn't go much beyond what was in my OP.

markgravitygood wrote:

That was my thought, but what everyone else said about the numbers going off makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
markgravitygood wrote:

After reading this I actually thought of a "variant" to distribute all the tiles evenly to everyone first, so everyone draw from their own stack. The rest of the tiles are discarded. This should throw the tiles counters off.

Haven't tried builder yet though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jawby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all of the expansions that are out there, if you are wanting to play with more than one expansion, do you set a cap on tiles per game? I can see games lasting a very long time without a cap. Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.