United States
Allston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Change the ability text on your homeworld to read:

Quote:
At the start of any of your Action Phase turns, if no cards are on this card, you may place 2 cards from your hand face down on this card; if you do, gain 1 energy.

During the Energy Phase, discard all cards on this card.

So basically, you can use your homeworld's ability during the main phase of the game instead of the energy phase. The cards aren't actually discarded, so you can't abuse 'play from discard pile' abilities.

Yes this does pollute the game's mechanics, but it's nice for the first few 'learning' games. You can apply it to new players only to stop horrible newb AP delays or as a game balancer (instead of making the smart guy in your group do shots).

As an additional benefit, it makes the game play a little faster, or a lot if there's a big AP problem in your group, so you can play more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good way to get things going with an inexperienced group... or to keep them going with an AP-prone group! laugh

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shankfoo wrote:
Yes this does pollute the game's mechanics,

What does the game lose, with this variant? I just played for the second time and ye gods was it slow. Having to chart your whole round in advance to know if you need that +1 energy was responsible for a lot of the delays. I couldn't really figure out what was interesting about having to decide in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grasa_total wrote:
shankfoo wrote:
Yes this does pollute the game's mechanics,

What does the game lose, with this variant? I just played for the second time and ye gods was it slow. Having to chart your whole round in advance to know if you need that +1 energy was responsible for a lot of the delays. I couldn't really figure out what was interesting about having to decide in advance.

You have to decide before the galactic phase, ie before you know which cards will be available in the middle to buy or attack. Pretty often, you can, typically, use a Snub (and something else) to get energy and then realise that all the Worlds in the middle require that extra fleet strength to be conquered.

Deciding whether to discard for energy or not is usually quite easy. Deciding what to discard is not easy and can cause numerous errors.

I tend to have now a rather good feeling of the game and be able to make this decision relatively quickly, and still with some a posteriori mistakes (but I'm able to recover from these). I do agree that beginners (or optimisers) can bring a lot of AP to this step of the turn and this way of playing it will certainly speed up things and make the game more fluid to learn.

(as for the game being slow with beginners, I strongly advice not to teach the game with more than 3 players or it will just take forever, 2 players games can be quick enough to not loose interest and after a couple of these, moving to 4 or 5 players won't take so long).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.