Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to see what others' experiences have been with the game. I feel like my group is going through the packs too fast. Through 4 games, we've opened all but the 9 Minor Cities (which will almost assuredly be opened after our next game) and the World Capital pack. We sometimes find that rather than play an effective game, we'll purposely engineer opening a pack, such as conspiring to play all 3 missiles on a random attack roll. Have others had the same experience, or are we just blowing through these things?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play in two groups.

Earth 616

Game 1 - None
Game 2 - None
Game 3 - Elimination packet and 2nd the board twice packet
Game 4 - 9 Minor Cities packet (at the end)
Game 5 - 3 Missiles
Game 6 - None
Game 7 - Bonus German packet
Game 8 - Haven't played yet

5/8 Packets opened.

Earth 4449

Game 1 - None
Game 2 - None
Game 3 - Elimination packet
Game 4 - 9 Minor Cities packet (at the end)
Game 5 - None
Game 6 - Bonus German packet and 2nd the board twice packet
Game 7 - Haven't played yet

4/8 Packets opened.

We've been playing for fun and to win. It would seem like a waste to force things to happen, just to open packets sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Night Owl

Pennsylvania
msg tools
SparkingConduit wrote:
I'm curious to see what others' experiences have been with the game. I feel like my group is going through the packs too fast. Through 4 games, we've opened all but the 9 Minor Cities (which will almost assuredly be opened after our next game) and the World Capital pack. We sometimes find that rather than play an effective game, we'll purposely engineer opening a pack, such as conspiring to play all 3 missiles on a random attack roll. Have others had the same experience, or are we just blowing through these things?

Wow, sounds like no self constraint. With 15 games to play its hard to think why anyone would want to have all the packets opened right away. Reminds me of the kids who would buy soda in high school and chug it down in 5 seconds. Seemed like a waste of money. Savor the taste!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth #6311
Game 1 - none (4 player game)
Game 2 - elimination (4 player game)
Game 3 - signed board twice (4 player game)
Game 4 - 3 missiles (4 player game)
Game 5 - 30 troops (5 player game)

The last two were somewhat forced and catered to. Especially the 30 troop one. Normally our games are done before such numbers can be accumulated.

We'll almost certainly place the last minor city after the next game.

It does feel a bit rushed, but we still have plenty of other elements to keep things random from game to game. The less you've opened the more stale it could become from lack of options and such.

That said, I hope we don't open the Major City pack and the 9 minor city packs on the same game. I'd like a couple games to go by with one pack before opening the last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOwlandWhatshisnam wrote:
SparkingConduit wrote:

Wow, sounds like no self constraint. With 15 games to play its hard to think why anyone would want to have all the packets opened right away. Reminds me of the kids who would buy soda in high school and chug it down in 5 seconds. Seemed like a waste of money. Savor the taste!

I think part of the problem is that the base gameplay isn't terribly interesting. That's likely the reason why my group has been opening the packs. Luckily, it does seem like the extra rules do help the game become less boring, but at the same time we are getting an impending sense of dread that once we open the last packet, we will have nothing left to play for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SparkingConduit wrote:
at the same time we are getting an impending sense of dread that once we open the last packet, we will have nothing left to play for.

My planned solution for that one is to save the "do not open ever" packet for after the others are open and things have started to become too comfortable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See this earlier thread, and feel free to jump on board and post further reports there:

Report here: In what order and when did you open the secret packages? (no spoilers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Alan Sayers
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just finished game 4 (with a group of the same 4 players each time; we are only going to play when all 4 are there, although 1 guest would be welcome any time).

In game 4 we opened two envelopes because a faction was eliminated and someone signed the board for the second time. We were two thirds of the way to opening the three missiles in one combat envelope. I suspect we'll found our last minor city after the next game (or next two at most).

We look forward to opening them all, but are not going to force it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gagan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Four games with the same five players.

Game 1: None
Game 2: None
Game 3: None
Game 4: Nine Cities

I will try to update as we play more games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
ClownShoes wrote:
SparkingConduit wrote:
at the same time we are getting an impending sense of dread that once we open the last packet, we will have nothing left to play for.

My planned solution for that one is to save the "do not open ever" packet for after the others are open and things have started to become too comfortable.

You don't have to worry about this. We have opened all the packs and--without spoiling anything--there are elements that will continue to change the world well beyond game 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.