T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was able to play a prototype of Aeroplanes at the Mayfair Booth at Gencon last year with a group of my friends. We all thought it was great (and my friends are not serious gamers and only one had played a Wallace game before). This game is at the top of my "want list."

Here is that review (From August, 2011):

Then we played the highlight of Gencon for me. Martin Wallace's unpublished prototype of "Aeroplanes" --his game about the early passenger airline industry.

All five of our group had purchased tickets in advance and looked forward to playing. We agreed to wait an extra half hour from our start time when the prior game went over. Scott joined us from that game, and so we played with six.

The Mayfair host was friendly and helpful and did a pretty good job of teaching us the game. She made a mistake on the movement rules (we were moving more than 2 spaces a turn, which is the official limit) and let us play with 6 when five is the official limit. But we had a great time playing this medium weight Wallace game.

The game feels like a cross between Brass: Lancashire (route connections and knocking others out of their locations by coming in with better technology) and Automobile (improving vehicle technology to gain advantage). It is certainly lighter than either of those games though. My friends really enjoyed it, as did Scott the traingamer who joined us. Its already a "must buy" for me though it is a long way from production. The theme works great, and it doesn't feel as pure economically driven like Automobile because the players move their planes around the board and set up airports.

Top Secret Prototype Photosarrrh
Here's the game map (click to enlarge):

A close up of the scoring track:

The six of us pretending to discuss strategy:

Final scores:soblue
Sean 36 (killed me in Asia at the end by exploiting our loose movement rules)
Greg 32 (solid throughout --had never played a Wallace game before).
Brad 21
Tom 20
Todd 17 (fell apart at end)
Scott 17 (tried many interesting moves --didn't nail us when he could have. Helped us with strategy.)

Feedback for Wallace:
1. Love the theme and the old airplanes.
2. Six players works fine --just add more $ components.
3. The technology upgrade options are fun and interesting.
4. The airplane upgrade mechanism is much more forgiving than in Automobile --there are no debt cubes and skipping technologies is fairly cheap (compared to Automobile). If that's what you want, then you have succeeded.
5. We played the movement rules incorrectly (allowing players to move more than 2 spaces a turn) which was fun for us, but did make it too random and haphazard for a "Wallace game." But on the other hand, we all worried that just 1-2 spaces a turn would make the game pretty static and make it very hard to get to southern Asia or to compete with someone who does manage to get down there.
6. Why do the player tokens that we place on maps representing airports have the airplane picture on them? They aren't airplanes, they are technology or airports. That should be changed.
7. We would all love to play test this again. Sign us up!

Conclusion: Must buy. As played 8. Looking like final version will be a home run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fire Lord
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No debt cubes?

Are you sure this is a Martin Wallace game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roseundy wrote:
No debt cubes?

Are you sure this is a Martin Wallace game?

Yeah, we WANT those Black Bastards (TM).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I can guarantee: you are now placing airport tokens, not planes (and the color differences between eras is much stronger as well).

I hope you'll enjoy the changes!
Alex Yeager
Mayfair Gamrs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
FezAZ wrote:

5. We played the movement rules incorrectly (allowing players to move more than 2 spaces a turn) which was fun for us, but did make it too random and haphazard for a "Wallace game."
Bold my emphasis

Apparently you haven't played Discworld: Ankh-Morpork
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Fred
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
Fez.
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
FezAZ wrote:

5. We played the movement rules incorrectly (allowing players to move more than 2 spaces a turn) which was fun for us, but did make it too random and haphazard for a "Wallace game."
Bold my emphasis

Apparently you haven't played Discworld: Ankh-Morpork

Actually I haven't. But I have ordered the game and will play soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.