Popular Tags: [View All]
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE! There will be one final FAQ Update. More information coming soon!

I have had a conversation with Anton at FFG about the status of the FAQ update that was submitted to them last June.

Due to the forthcoming second edition - there will be no FAQ to any of the issues and concerns that were presented to them.

Meaning - no answers on any Version 1 questions. No fix to all the issues in Sea of Blood etc...

Since I did not ask Anton's permission to post his reply to me - I will not post it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you just did?

Anyways, does that surprise you? Of course they're doing *nothing* for 1st Ed, they want everyone to know that anything broken in the game stays broken and to fix it you have to buy 2nd Ed (another reason a 2nd Ed irks some players).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I think you just did?

Anyways, does that surprise you? Of course they're doing *nothing* for 1st Ed, they want everyone to know that anything broken in the game stays broken and to fix it you have to buy 2nd Ed (another reason a 2nd Ed irks some players).

-shnar

Yep. I love FFG but they should at least fix the shit they publish instead of telling people to just scrap it and buy a new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I think you just did?

No - I did let them know that I was going to say something on the forums - but I will not post our full email exchange that includes what he wrote - not without asking him.

And yes and no to surprising me. The FAQ Project started in September I think it was of 2010... it was submitted in June (granted a few months later version 2 was announced.) But FFG helped create a subforum for it - and at no point indicated they would not support the effort. That is what is the big slap in the face.

Also really lame - as they seem to have no issue with the crap SoB they released.

Unfortunate... really gives me pause as to whether or not I will invest in version 2 now... originally when announced it was an instabuy. With this experience - I will certainly be waiting for the rules... then may even wait for reactions here first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I still really like SoB. Even if some of the overall game is broken (mainly Lt's), I love the ship mechanics, and wish they got more game time (getting Encounters at sea rarely happen). I'm tempted to create a variant that's nothing but Ship to Ship combat, maybe merge with a Merchants & Marauders like board...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF is up with FFG these days? It's not like they can just say "Oh, we lost the license, can't support it anymore!" like they did with the Doom and Warcraft games. Descent is their own IP.

If abandoning games in a broken state, and releasing new editions in their wake is the way things are going to be, then I'm going to have to reevaluate my to-buy list.

I think Thaad leaving FFG caused more harm than any of us could imagine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Burton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
WTF is up with FFG these days? It's not like they can just say "Oh, we lost the license, can't support it anymore!" like they did with the Doom and Warcraft games. Descent is their own IP.

If abandoning games in a broken state, and releasing new editions in their wake is the way things are going to be, then I'm going to have to reevaluate my to-buy list.

I fully agree and I am very disappointed to hear their stance on how they view present customer support. I thought Descent was a flagship title for Fantasy Flight Games?

If they show this trend with their products why again should we support them with their next product or even continue to promote them here?

It would make sense to "do the right thing" and put their FAQ's in good standing before moving on and promoting their next version.

Short version: "You are not building the freaking ARK here guys, finished the damned FAQ before moving on to your next project."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Maria Bisetto
Italy
Casier
TV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's time to create our Descent Living Rulebook whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well!

A new response from FFG thanks to SoylentGreens recent agitation on top of some comments by others of us previously to FFG and there wll be one more FAQ for first edition. KW will work on it with us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Forget FFG. Lets do a fanproject FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Forget FFG. Lets do a fanproject FAQ.

The next one pretty much will be.
We (fans) built a 100 page document with around 80 questions, (and a SoB balance section) most with detailed explanations of the situations, then a question and carefully worded multichoice answers - designed so that where possible answers didn't create more questions, answer the question asked, were appliable generally rather than specifically etc.
We also went through the existing FAQ and GLOAQ to combine, correct and cross reference answers so that there would be no contradictions. I'm sure our work wasn't perfect, but it should help FFG get a lot better final FAQ product.
It started with a subforum set up for us by FFG on FFG forums. For a while I was reporting progress here as well, but towards the end things were going too fast and to complicated to keep that up, and at the very end it was personal emails back and forth changing and editing and adapting the document directly.
FFG has said KW will work on the FAQ himself, based off our document, and have a direct contact with one of us if he needs any questions or explanations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
corbon wrote:
Well!

A new response from FFG thanks to SoylentGreens recent agitation on top of some comments by others of us previously to FFG and there wll be one more FAQ for first edition. KW will work on it with us!

YAY!

They listen.

That is why I do like FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

corbon wrote:
[q="Mr Skeletor"][...]We (fans) built a 100 page document with around 80 questions, (and a SoB balance section) most with detailed explanations of the situations, then a question and carefully worded multichoice answers - designed so that where possible answers didn't create more questions, answer the question asked, were appliable generally rather than specifically etc.
We also went through the existing FAQ and GLOAQ to combine, correct and cross reference answers so that there would be no contradictions. I'm sure our work wasn't perfect, but it should help FFG get a lot better final FAQ product.
It started with a subforum set up for us by FFG on FFG forums. For a while I was reporting progress here as well, but towards the end things were going too fast and to complicated to keep that up, and at the very end it was personal emails back and forth changing and editing and adapting the document directly.
FFG has said KW will work on the FAQ himself, based off our document, and have a direct contact with one of us if he needs any questions or explanations.

I always thought it a slap in the face of Descent/FFG fans that Descent 1E was abandoned, especially for those involved in the FAQ Project, which must have taken considerable time and effort. I am very happy FFG are finally coming to their senses. Now, if they'd also make good on the long promised but never realised reprint of Altar of Despair, I'll forgive anything... whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a positive sign, but why did it take the outcry to get it back on track again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:
It's a positive sign, but why did it take the outcry to get it back on track again?

Simply put?
They are a business. It happens.

Important part is they listened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

Simply put?
They are a business. It happens.

Important part is they listened.

Yes - I am very happy that we were heard and that they will help resolve the FAQ for us. I have always been very happy with FFG and their support - this has been the first time I have been frustrated with it... but happy to see we were listened to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

Wait, Thaad left?!?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
I always thought it a slap in the face of Descent/FFG fans that Descent 1E was abandoned, especially for those involved in the FAQ Project, which must have taken considerable time and effort. I am very happy FFG are finally coming to their senses. Now, if they'd also make good on the long promised but never realised reprint of Altar of Despair, I'll forgive anything... whistle

You think it's a slap in the face that they're revising the rules for a game that requires a 100 page FAQ?

If anything, it's the first edition that was a slap in the face. A game with that many rules conflicts should have never seen the light of day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

Wait, Thaad left?!?

-shnar

Yeah - it was a bummer to hear that Thaadd left... she was fantastic at support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:

You think it's a slap in the face that they're revising the rules for a game that requires a 100 page FAQ?

With as many different situations that can come up in the game? Not really. With as many rules and such as there are in this game it is completely understandable. What I would honestly like to see(won't happen though) instead of a new FAQ is an updated comprehensive rulebook. Hell it would probably be about 130 but it would be awesome.
lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

trenttsd wrote:
[q="Jan Tuijp"]You think it's a slap in the face that they're revising the rules for a game that requires a 100 page FAQ?

I think you misunderstood. I thought it a slap in the face that they didn't want to revise the rules for SoB and ignored all the hard work of the fans in the Manhattan FAQ project.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yet another drama about FAQ for Descent...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skolo wrote:
yet another drama about FAQ for Descent...

And the point of your comment is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
You really clocked up 100 pages of FAQs? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
shnar wrote:
Hugh_G_Rection wrote:

Wait, Thaadd left?!?

-shnar

Yeah - it was a bummer to hear that Thaadd left... she was fantastic at support.

I'm just still in shock that Thaadd left! I'm going to miss her awesomeness!!!

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.