Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading the rules and sort of getting the idea... haven't committed to making a set and playtesting just yet, though, but I'm seriously considering it.

However, simply reading the rules, I'm wondering if there might be an imbalance based on seating position. If I'm understanding the rules correctly, the lower-left player will always have to pick between Develop and Finance (or Restructure and Horizon). Similarly, the upper-left player will always have to choose between Restructure and Finance (or Horizon and Develop).

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that Develop is overall the most-needed action and Horizon is the least needed. This would seem to give the lower-right player a bit of an advantage... he gets easy access to Develop since he wants Horizon far less often.

Obviously, I'm assuming a lot here. But if I'm seeing things correctly, wouldn't square cards (and an extra 90-degree shuffle) completely balance the game? In that case, any player in any position could see any of the possible action combinations.

Regardless, very nice game concept. At first, I sort of thought the concept would be more of a gimmick, but it's actually pretty cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Blake
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
The imbalance is intentional. It makes for slightly different playstyles from position to position. In my (going on 300) playtests, seating position hasn't played a role in victory.

Besides, square cards would be a bit more difficult to print-and-play, and make the shuffle more time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as it's intentional (and doesn't break anything), that's great. Sort of like the different animals in Dominant Species.

As far as shuffling, I started thinking I'd just flip half the deck face up and half face down and simply do the ol' "stir shuffle".

I may break down this weekend and print out a set. However, I did just get a copy of Antiquity and this was going to be the weekend to break it out... so no promises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.