5 Posts

Arcana» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revised rule question on bribes on agents rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bond
msg tools
mbmb
Can I assume any amount of bribes/relics can be attached to a agent?

Also what happens to the relic when a agent gets moved to another district does the bribe/relic go with him?

What happens to the relic if the agent it is attached to gets discarded due to a card effect? Can it be transferred to another friendly agent in that district if the owning agent moves or is discarded by a card effect?

Other than that revised rules pretty much clear everything up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamos wrote:
Can I assume any amount of bribes/relics can be attached to a agent?

Also what happens to the relic when a agent gets moved to another district does the bribe/relic go with him?

What happens to the relic if the agent it is attached to gets discarded due to a card effect? Can it be transferred to another friendly agent in that district if the owning agent moves or is discarded by a card effect?

Other than that revised rules pretty much clear everything up.

I don't get what you are referring to with "bribes"... anyway, the first one is easy: any amount of relics can be assigned to a district, provided that there is already at least one of your agents assigned to the same district.

I was "discussing" the other matters on the FFG forum (though the very scarce amount of users involved in this game doesn't really make any real discussion possible), and I'll paste here what I wrote:

Quote:
I think the rules don't really cover this in any way. The rulebook states:

"A Relic can only be played on a player's Agent"

and

"It is possible to use a Relic with multiple Agents at the same District"

My "feel" about these rules is that relics are not actually "attached" to an agent, but they just require at least one agent assigned to the district to be played (since you can only play agents and relics on districts, to place the first relic you must have at least one agent assigned, hence you'll need to play it on top of one).

Trying to be very analytic, the verbs used are: played on (an agent), used (to bribe) and combined (with another relic or agent). This led me to believe that there's no real binding between a single agent and a relic played on the same district, so I wouldn't discard the relic if I had to discard the agent.

Following the same criteria, if an agent is moved to another district the relics remain where they are. This however may lead to a situation where you have a relic assigned to a district with no agents (relics only require an agent to be played).

If this doesn't make sense to you, either my analytical reading is incorrect or the revision of the rules on the bribe process resulted in some unexpected side-effects (which can easily be the case, as some debate on other inconsistencies with event cards have shown).

Anyway, the binding between agents and relics is not clear. Relics are played on agents, but there's no limit to the number of relics that can be played on a single agent, and furthermore when performing the bribe the sum of the arcana of all involved agents is considered. I guess that unless the authors clarify this you can basically decide which way to go.
From a thematic point of view, I guess that ideally "attaching" relics to agents (and moving/removing them following their agents) makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.A.H. van de Laak
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. isn't it just when you play a relic, you immediately will win the stake card, and immediately the agent + relic will go the to the discard pile as well. So moving around with the agent + relic is not simply possible, because he'll be in the discard pile after the relic has been used for that agent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
QueesteGeest wrote:
Hmm.. isn't it just when you play a relic, you immediately will win the stake card, and immediately the agent + relic will go the to the discard pile as well. So moving around with the agent + relic is not simply possible, because he'll be in the discard pile after the relic has been used for that agent.

Nope: in the revised edition, after playing a relic, if you can't bribe the personality you don't discard any card and you can instead combine the played relic with other agents and relics later. So, nothing gets discarded until a successful bribing, and thus there is the possibility to move around stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher McLaughlin
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to overthink this one and here's my conclusion:

If the relics are meant to be played directly on a specific agent instead of just to a district with friendly agents, would it make a difference? Yes , it would because that means anything affecting the attached agent would also affect it's relics. This is the only reason I can fathom that it would matter to make the distinction.

I found something in the rule book to support the idea that the relic is tied to a specific agent. It's in the Bribing a Personality example: "On this turn, he plays "Barhan Sword" on "Funeral" to attempt to bribe Ayane."

There are a couple things to note:
1.The Bribing example shows two agents at the district. If it didn't matter who it was attached to, they could have used more general text than "On Funeral" such as "On his agents".

2.Throughout the rules, the images show the agents being played side-by-side instead of stacked with values exposed. In the Bribing example however, the relic is the only card that is physically placed on top of another.

It's frustrating that this rule is so poorly explained but I'm doing my best to wade through it. I suspect that the designers wanted players to care about which agents they attach relics to. Bribes are meant to be rapid fire and without a response. It makes sense that a bribe should lose effectiveness if it's exposed and visible to everyone. It should make the bribing agent vulnerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.