Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is a board game forum, but I think this topic is relevant nevertheless.

I was browsing through Ebay offers and found out that all the cases from this game were released in 3 PC/MAC games a long time ago, the first of which was released in interactive DVD, to be played in standard DVD players. Based on a few Youtube videos, it seems that, instead of reading the interviews with the characters, you watch them on the screen, acted by real people. It's like interacting with a movie somehow. I don't know further details though.

It would be interesting to know if anybody here has played both the board game and the electronic version. I wonder if the immersion level of the game is intensified or weakened by the use of the videos, and also if the mecanics of the game are essentially the same. Is there still some reading need on the video game version, or absolutely everything is watched? Are the games essentially the same, or the video game adaptation is a watered-down version of the board game?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Horta chortles.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it on my Sega CD back in the day.

It's still reduced from the "portfolio game" (not really a board game either) in that they simply couldn't portray every location in London like the Directory/Encounter Books do and you also don't get as rich of a newspaper to scour through.

I believe the cases still solved the same, though. But the acting wasn't exactly spectacular and I think a good part of the fun is being with friends poring over the map and the phone directory and the newspaper coming up with theories.

I also don't recall there being a digital version of The Mansion Murders, but I could be wrong there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mmesich wrote:
I played it on my Sega CD back in the day.

It's still reduced from the "portfolio game" (not really a board game either) in that they simply couldn't portray every location in London like the Directory/Encounter Books do and you also don't get as rich of a newspaper to scour through.

I believe the cases still solved the same, though. But the acting wasn't exactly spectacular and I think a good part of the fun is being with friends poring over the map and the phone directory and the newspaper coming up with theories.

I also don't recall there being a digital version of The Mansion Murders, but I could be wrong there.

That was very helpful, thanks! Yeah, I've noticed that the acting is pretty bad... But I had hopes that the electronic version would be closer to the original than what it sounds like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning B
Germany
Köln
flag msg tools
badge
The Penguin Always Knocks Twice - Walter Moers
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a Kickstarter Project, remastering it and bring it to PC's and Tablets:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1920171553/sherlock-holm...

Sherlock isn't dead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.