Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been holding back saying this for some time now, but at the cost of sounding like a whine, I feel that Days of Wonder are letting down their iPad Small World fans.

It doesn't have on-line play.

It doesn't have all of the expansions. (1.Necromancer Island, 2.Be Not Afraid, 3.Tales and Legends and 4.Leaders)

It is still only 2 players.

And even if it always remained two player, it could have the Necromancer expansion to make it 3 three player, or 1 player and 2 AI.

It doesn't have an undo, which is helpful when playing with kids.

And what about Small World Underground, I think that this should be added as part of the existing app so that you can mix all races up on either boards.

With all of the stuff happening with Ticket to Ride for iOS, Small World fans are being left wanting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Alvaro
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder is not going to let on what they've got in store for you. For all you know there could be an update to Small World that has everything you are dreaming about already in the bag.

ipadboardgames.org did a great interview with Eric H at DoW in December. I think what he had to say is as positive a confirmation you are going to get from the tight-lipped folks at DoW.

interview at ipadboardgames.org wrote:

Eric: We love the game, and, as players, would be the first in line to buy additional expansions as well as wish for online play on the iPad. We’re also known for being pretty tight-lipped about future developments, so for now, I think that’s all I wish to say.

Angelus: If we were to see Small World Underground released, what are the thoughts on whether it should be an app in its own right, or an in app purchase. If the former, do you think it would be feasible to allow for cross over between the two settings? If the latter, would that detract from the idea that it should be recognised as its own game, and what does that mean for players who just prefer the SM U variant having to buy SM to play it? How do you anticipate resolving this potential dilemma?

Eric: If we were to release Small World Underground, my guess is we’d do it as a separate stand-alone app, if only to keep our programmers’ and testers’ sanity. There are enough interactions and special cases to deal with as it stands. So if you wished to play Small World and Small World Underground with Tunnels all together, my recommendation would be to go out and buy the real board games, not wait for an iPad implementation.

Angelus: In addition, the iPad implementation is set up for a 2 player tabletop style play. Some have lamented that this limits the game, especially since some of the powers have variable utility based on the number of players (vampiric and Sorcerers spring to mind). Likewise, following the success of Ticket to Ride Pocket, are we likely to see developments for the game along these lines?

Eric: Supporting more than 2 players on the iPad would be very nice indeed, especially if this was combined with some form of multiplayer play. We agree.

I'm just going to point out that there was a LOT of blinkin' winking going on in that interview. So pick up on that vibe and stop lamenting! DoW just came out with a great update to a very popular app and I think they are just beginning to hit their stride for 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fjodor Chrome
Russia
flag msg tools
Everything's good, except for the undisclosed timelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
8 months later, and still nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my opinion on this hasn't changed since my original post.

I bought an iPad primarily to play Small World, it was the first app I installed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Will this resolve some of the complaints people seem to have?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/daysofwonder/small-world-2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Gelven
Australia
Morphett Vale
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glenwood wrote:
Will this resolve some of the complaints people seem to have?

www.kickstarter.com/projects/daysofwonder/small-world-2

this awesome, I'm as happy as a pig in mud, i will be backing this one big time
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.