Subject: Assault and control questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2 points about the assualt and control rules I would like to verify for the base game:

1. Assault: taking the rules literally, a unit has to move to an adjacent hex first before it can do an assault (ignoring supporting units for a moment). So if that is correct, that means that a unit that is already in an adjacent hex cannot assault directly?

2. Control of an objective: According to the rules, a unit needs to be on an objective hex during the command phase in order to gain control over that objective. I assume then that e.g. passing through a vacant objective hex during the action phase, but ending up outside of that objective hex would not give the player control over that hex, correct?

Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tako wrote:
I have 2 points about the assualt and control rules I would like to verify for the base game:

1. Assault: taking the rules literally, a unit has to move to an adjacent hex first before it can do an assault (ignoring supporting units for a moment). So if that is correct, that means that a unit that is already in an adjacent hex cannot assault directly?

No. A unit that is already adjacent can still assault. Depending on the situation, you might not want to, because it might be better to just do a Concentrated Fire action instead (hits on 4+ at range 1 = adjacent). Again, depends on the situation.

Note: Because the squad was adjacent to the hex it intends to assault, and did not use movement points to get to that hex, units in Op Fire will not be able to attack the assaulting squad. However, if the assaulting squad was in a entrenchment (or trench), it must use a movement point to first exit the entrenchment/trench. Exiting an entrenchment/trench will trigger Op Fire. So even if the assaulting squad is in an adjacent hex, the Op Fire was triggered when the assaulting squad exited the entrenchment/trench.

Also note: A player who declares an Assault action may decide not to have the active squad engage in an assault attack after its movement, but the squad still receives the movement penalty. (pg.12)

Tako wrote:
2. Control of an objective: According to the rules, a unit needs to be on an objective hex during the command phase in order to gain control over that objective. I assume then that e.g. passing through a vacant objective hex during the action phase, but ending up outside of that objective hex would not give the player control over that hex, correct?

Yes.
You cannot just pass through the hex to claim it. You have to have one or more of your units in the objective hex during the command phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ray, many thanks, this makes it very clear! Am relieved about how Assault works, it is much more intuitive this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RayGuns wrote:
[q="Tako"]
Yes.
You cannot just pass through the hex to claim it. You have to have one or more of your units in the objective hex during the command phase.

This is wrong. The rules (pg. 14) state:

"A player retains control of a hex as long as his control marker
remains on the hex. It is not necessary for the capturing units
to remain in the hex
in order to retain control of the objective."

Place the OBJECTIVE MARKER in the HEX and it's your.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark selleck
Australia
Alice Springs
NT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
descolado1 wrote:
RayGuns wrote:
[q="Tako"]
Yes.

This is wrong. The rules (pg. 14) state:

"A player retains control of a hex as long as his control marker
remains on the hex. It is not necessary for the capturing units
to remain in the hex
in order to retain control of the objective."

Place the OBJECTIVE MARKER in the HEX and it's your.

The rule you state above is talking about a hex that you already control, its saying once you have control your unit dose not have to stay in the hex to keep control of it.

What rayguns has said is correct, but I would also like to add that any units that start the game on an objective or command hex take control of it at the start of the game.

Edit: Just to make it clear control markers are only placed during the command phase (and game setup if units start in an objective hex) during determine control over objectives, which comes after the action phase (so you need a unit on the hex in the command phase to control the hex)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, Mark. I did not understand this way but I think you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Mark; that's definitely correct. It's the difference between gaining control of a hex, and retaining control of a hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HEEREN Xavier
Belgium
Liège
Lièe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i have a other question about assault.

The rules says two units can support a assault, even if they are fatigued, if they are adjacented at the hex.

Could they support most than a assault ? I mean if the player makes some assault on more adjacents hexes ?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmoipap wrote:
i have a other question about assault.

The rules says two units can support a assault, even if they are fatigued, if they are adjacented at the hex.

Could they support most than a assault ? I mean if the player makes some assault on more adjacents hexes ?

Thank you

If I understand your question correctly, then yes. The squads performing the actual assaults will have to be different squads, but the supporting squads (up to two) adjacent to the hexes being assaulted can be the same. It's an uncommon event, but can happen.

Note that supportings squads can be fatigued, but not pinned our disrupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.