Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
So, one of my friends in my game group gets a little excited when he rolls the dice. We've been friends a long time & I enjoy gaming with him but this has always annoyed me. He's gotten better, the dice no longer fly through the air putting us at risk of taking one in the eye, as when we were in our teens, but these days (& I'm in my fifties now) he still manages to knock game pieces out of place on the board.

I've notice here on BGG a few discussions about Dice towers. I figured I should get one of these to address the situation. I told my wife last weekend "let's head out to the craft supply store" (actual name not included since this isn't an ad). Normally she loves that place, but for some strange reason instead of grabbing her coat she hesitated and wanted to know what I was looking for there. I explained about the dice tower & showed her pictures on the web (She's not a board gamer).

She asked why buy anything when you can make this out of one of the boxes the clementines come in? Hmm ... now there's an idea.

So here's how to make your own dice tower at little/no cost:
Get yourself some clementines, the ones that come in one of those wood boxes

Enjoy the clementines.

Dismantel the box by pulling the staples out with a pair of pliers, carful not to break the wood. There's actually two dismantled boxes in this picture below.

Cut a few of the parts to fit, & assemble with wood glue. The corner braces from the box will be your angles inside, the part you cut off one of the long sides to make your opening in the bottom will become your angled base.

So truth to tell, this 1st one is a little rough around the edges. I mostly put it together quick to see if & how it would work. Sure enough I've got myself a dice tower with a little effort from materials I had on hand. The boxes we'd normally just toss in the trash. I'll probably make a few more for the group I game with. A little paint & extra care & I can make these look fairly fancy.

So what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
On the US West Coast, you may wish to substitute satsumas for the Clementines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Roberts
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No Gard
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
one of the best ideas !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EuroPeon
United States
flag msg tools
You've given me a reason to beat my scurvy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our Clementines don't come in a box... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SWEET!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
As if I needed a reason to buy clementines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTDG
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd really like to see a picture or sketch of the inside arrangement. I know the dice need to tumble, and I see your starting ingedient list, and I even see an outer rectangle, but how are the insides arranged using only those ingredients/components?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's brilliant and I hope my store still has Clementines.

P.S. Gotta keep the label on it for maximum coolness.

P.P.S. You should do either a detailed Youtube or blog with lots of pics of the process and find a prominent place for it somewhere here.

Quote:

but how are the insides arranged using only those ingredients/components?

The corners of the box are triangle-shaped blocks of wood and form the part to allow tumbling. I'd guess put one at the top, one in the middle on the opposite side, and one at the bottom on the same side as the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
ThroughTheDeckGlass wrote:
I'd really like to see a picture or sketch of the inside arrangement. I know the dice need to tumble, and I see your starting ingedient list, and I even see an outer rectangle, but how are the insides arranged using only those ingredients/components?
Ok, I'll try doing that. I've got a busy week in front of me, so I may not get to it until this weekend, but I promise to post something for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned above, disassemble the box by pulling out the staples with a pair of pliers. You’ll end up with 8 pieces you’ll need to build the dice tower. Please be aware that the measurements of the parts will very dependent on the brand/box you have, so adjust you measurements accordingly. The measurements below reflect the size of the pieces from the box I took apart.

I end up with 2 long sides from the box. These will be the front & back of the dice tower. They are each 1/8” x 2 11/16” x 11 9/16”.

I end up with 2 short sides from the box. These will be the sides of the dice tower and their length will dictate the height of the tower. They are each 1/8” x 3 1/16” x 7 3/8”.

I end up with 4 corner posts from the box. These will be the interior ramps or slopes for the dice to tumble through. They are each 4 1/8” long and the sides of the triangular shape are 1” x 1” x 1 ½”.

Now you’ll need to cut some of your pieces. I use a miter box, but if you have a nice table saw that’ll probably give you tighter results.

Cut your 4 posts to be ¼” shorter than the width of your sides, this way when you add in the thickness of your front & back you’ll have a square tower. That assumes the thickness of your pieces are also 1/8” thick like mine. For my example my sides are 3 1/16” wide so my 4 posts need to each be cut to 2 13/16”.

Cut one of the long box sides to the same length as your short box sides. This will be the back of your tower. In my example this means one of the 11 9/16” pieces I cut down to 7 3/8” long.

Cut the other long box side to be 1 ½” shorter than your short box sides. This will be the front of your tower and that 1 ½ “ will provide the opening for the dice to exit the tower.

You will also need to trim down one of the pieces of waste you just cut off one of your long box sides so that it can act as the ramp at the bottom of the tower. This ramp will send your dice rolling out of your tower. As mentioned your front will leave a 1 ½” opening at the base of your tower, this will help determine the length of your ramp. To figure this just draw in pencil and paper a box with a length equal to the length your posts are now and 1 ½” high, then draw a diagonal line through it and that is the length your ramp needs to be. It’s width of course is, and needs to be equal to the width of the front & back of your tower. In my example the box I drew is 2 13/16” x 1 ½” so the hypotenuse (or diagonal line I drew from corner to corner of the box) is 3 1/16”. This means one of the waste pieces I cut off a long box side I now cut down to 3 1/16” so I have a ramp 1/8” x 2 11/16” x 3 1/16”.

Now we need some wood glue to begin gluing things together.

1st we need to glue our interior slopes to the sides. On one side position a slope so the top of the angle is flush with the top. On the other side position a slope so the flat base is 1 ½” up from the bottom (equal to the exit opening). Your two remaining slopes should be positioned to evenly split the remaining interior space. Be sure to center your slopes left to right on the sides so there’s room for the front & back parts to nest.

Now glue your sides to the back. I like to use rubber bands to hold the parts in place while the glue dries. You also can’t see this in the photo, but I’ve got the tower sitting on some 6 sided dice so it doesn’t get stuck to my wood table as I’m waiting for the glue to dry.

Now glue your front into place. Again I find rubber bands help hold things in place as the glue dries.

Lastly glue your exit ramp into place.

Once the glue has dried you’re finished, unless you want to paint it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.