Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: adorable [+] [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a thread about all the great things about being a parent?

I call this. "Dad takes off shoes, Dax takes off shoes" Nothing beats my mini me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 20 month daughter turns on the tv, then picks up the remote and hands it to me while saying "football, football" when I tell her there isn't any football on right now then she asks "hockey?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dad, what's Devo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son and I have something very much like this that has been going on since he was Dax's age.

As soon as I get home, it is pretty much a sure bet that I am taking my shirt off. Me and the Texas heat just don't get along. So my son, seeing me would do the same thing.

Still does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I come home from work, my little girl cries out "Daddy!" (one her very few words and her first) and can't wait for me to pick her up and hug her. She snuggles with her arms round my neck and shoulder for a while. Then she sits up in my arms, bounced for joy and smiles at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter, who should be sleeping, just came into my office and gave me a kiss on the cheek and told me it was time for me to go to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined. -- Lord John Whorfin
mbmbmbmbmb
My nine year old daughter faced a dilemma this past weekend. She was invited to an overnight birthday party for her friend Olive. It was the third grade party of the year. Video arcade trip, making sushi at home for dinner, movies, etc. All the cool kids were going. Olive's parents are very wealthy, and this was going to be quite the event.

On the same weekend, she got an invitation from her friend Aiden. Aiden is a total nerd, into science fiction and just got a Pathfinder D&D set for Christmas. The gifts were to be books, and kids were supposed to bring another book for a book exchange. The evening's entertainment: Dungeons and Dragons.

Only one other kid rsvp'd to Aiden's party.

My daughter decided to go to Aiden's party. Aiden was her friend from pre-school, and she didn't think it was right that no one wanted to go to his party.

They had a great time.

She struggled with hearing about the awesomeness of Olive's party at school, but felt she needed to do the right thing by her friend Aiden.

I couldn't have been more proud. I love my little Geekgrrl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
artfuldodge2 wrote:

My daughter decided to go to Aiden's party. Aiden was her friend from pre-school, and she didn't think it was right that no one wanted to go to his party.

You're doing something right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Y.
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter belly laughing at shuffled cards. Gets me every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So my daughter was trying to remove a lid from a bottle, but was getting frustrated when the lid wasn't forthcoming. So I told her, "Don't cry baby! You'll get it."

She announces, "I not baby; I two!".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
Would you like steak with that?
badge
Have another Keith's
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year I was laid up with the flu for a few days. When I started to come out of it I was pretty weak.

My daughter, then 4, would come into the my room and put her blankie on me. She would also help my wife make me sandwiches, soup and snacks.

A few weeks later:
"Daddy?"
"Yes, honey"
"I love you"
"I love you too"
"I wish you'd get sick again"
".?!?...uhh, why dear?"
"So that I can take care of you again"

Then I gave her a big hug and kiss. And told her she could make me sandwiches anytime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendy Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My two teenage boys are thoughtful and loving geeks. They do nice things for others all of the time. Here is the breakfast they made and served to me in bed--complete with poetry and flowers from the garden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb

This is my 3-year-old, Claire.

Last night she told my wife that she wanted to be an obstetrician... or Batgirl.

I'd honestly be fine with either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jones
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2112 wrote:
My son and I have something very much like this that has been going on since he was Dax's age.

As soon as I get home, it is pretty much a sure bet that I am taking my shirt off. Me and the Texas heat just don't get along. So my son, seeing me would do the same thing.

Still does.

Yet another reason not to drop by your house without prior notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Re: Parenting Postive Waves
Ska_baron wrote:
My daughter belly laughing at shuffled cards. Gets me every time.

She laughs now, but wait until you turn over an "Epidemic" card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Dunne
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kafka wrote:
Echo2112 wrote:

Still does.

Yet another reason not to drop by your house without prior notice.

Trust me, over the years I have developed a system. There is always a shirt handy in case the doorbell rings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, a big THANK YOU to Chapel for this thread. After reading 2 negative threads on this topic in 2 different forums, this is a breath of fresh air. Thank you!

When on a long car ride my daughter does not watch movies nor play video games, she asks to play The Geography Game.

The first person gives the name of anything in geography: a country, state, continent, body of water, land mass, etc. The next person does the same, but theirs has to start with the last letter of the first person's word/name. The next person does the same with the last letter of the 2nd person's word/name, and so on.

It gets tough as many end in "A" and "E" and you eventually run out or can't remember any more that start with and "A" or "E". Every time you can't name one, you get a strike. After 3 strikes you are out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We gave our daughter a doctor's kit (for toddlers) for Christmas. She played with it for a few days and then quickly went on to another new toy. Last night we were playing with yet another new toy, a fishing game with a magnetic fishing pole. She was waving the pole around and I got a little too close and she popped me solidly in the eye (yes, it still hurts).

A minute or two after cursing the pain and lying on the floor with my eyes closed waiting for relief I hear her walking up to me. She says, "Sorry, Daddy," gives me a hug, and proceeds to take everything out of the doctor's kit to fix me up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the picture, but enjoy it while you can.

I go to the gym in workout clothes and pack my work clothes to change into afterwards. Tuesday, I discovered that I had three dress shoes. While packing, I noticed I missed one and shoved it in my backpack. Turns out it was my 14yo's. When awake and in good light, it's a few sizes smaller, but it was close enough in the dim lighting of our shoe closet to mix up with mine....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
My six year old likes to make cards telling my wife and I that she loves us. Then she leaves the cards in places where she knows we'll see them - on our pillows, at our dinner places, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Love the picture, but enjoy it while you can.

That's the thing with kids, they can really screw up your perception of time. Here's my daughter being introduced to her little brother:

I feel like I took that a few months ago. But here they are walking together in the rain:

I could swear I took that picture a few months ago. But here they are at the beach:

That was a few months ago.

So definitely enjoy it while you can. I love the ride, just wish it would slow down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hugs and the kisses and the "I love you"s are great! But so are the times when I watching him learn. A couple weeks ago, he got dressed entirely by himself. He was so proud. And he's learning to read. Sometimes he struggles and gives up, but sometimes he tries to stick with it and sound out the word and often gets it! He's proud then, too. It's a combination of "I can do it myself" and "this makes my parents proud and I like to show them what I can do." I know these years are moving quickly, but it's great fun watching him grow and learn.

This is right after he turned 2. (Sorry, the video is a little long…)

Now he's almost 4. He made the world out of playdoh at school last week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It is student election time around here. The other night, my sixteen-year-old son announced that he would be aiding his friend Leo's election by starting a SuperPac.

He promptly logged onto facebook and created a page called Citizens United Moneybomb for Leo, and now has half the school involved in making satirical posters, smear ads for fake candidates (since he doesn't want to smear his other classmates), and planning lunchtime political rallies.

And the best part is, this is par for him. He's always coming up with these sorts of schemes, and he almost always gets in trouble (with his teachers and the administration) for it, and when we arrive to extricate him, we are always winking and giving him high fives while putting on the serious face for the adult authority figures who can't see past their own silly rules.

Case in point - here in AZ, they teach abstinence-only education. In the sixth grade his sex-ed class, in public school mind you, was an abstinence class was run by a visiting nun from Catholic social services. At the end of the class she passed out an oath for all the kids to sign where they were required to swear that they would not have sex until they were married. I received a call home from my son's teacher that afternoon. Apparently he had created his own oath and agreed to sign the nun's only if she signed his. It read: "I swear not to make any more kids, who are too young and uninformed to make any sort of intelligent decision about sex one way or another, swear oaths about sex." Apparently both the nun, and his sixth grade teacher were livid, since it resulted in several kids tearing up or refusing to sign their oaths as well. When he got home that night, I took him to dinner at his favorite restaurant to celebrate his bad-assery.

My point here is, if you do it right, parenting is the best thing in the universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
After watching Wrath of Khan with my 11yr old daughter, she tells me: "You know, Khan could've really used a hug."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being at home for the summer holidays with my wife and 2 year old son.

Hearing the padding of feet come down the corridor after his afternoon sleep - him taking my hand and leading me back to his room so he could lie back down and listen to a some books before getting up for a run around.

Going to the beach and running in and out of the surf with him - all beaming smiles and laughter.

Him wandering down the corridor after a sleep, arms loaded with a greater weight of toy dinosaurs than himself.

Watching him cuddle into his mother as he gets sleepy.

Wanting me to show him dinosaurs (dine-orrs) on the computer - me picking a suitably cute video he shakes his head, "No Daddy! Rubbish!"

"It's time for a bath mate" - says I. "Ohhhhh!" he replies, shaking his head and frowning.

Too many things to list. Being a Dad is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.