Flash Point: Fire Rescue» Forums » Variants

Subject: Can this work with 10players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
OhMee
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Is it possible for this game to work with 10players? Like the other 4 can just be generalists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milkolate wrote:
Hi. Is it possible for this game to work with 10players? Like the other 4 can just be generalists.

The board is too small

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webster
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how the balance of the game could handle this many. I think it would weight too far on the advantage of the firefighters and would not be entertaining. The board would be VERY crowded as well.
I say NO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure the balance would be thrown off, and in fact I think it might be too hard with 10 on the board, unless you spread yourselves out really effectively.

I would be much more worried about downtime, which can start to be an issue even with 5-6 players.

If you really need to play with 10, I would assign meeples to pairs of people, so there would be 5 pawns on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. My solution: buy two copies of this game, and then play two 5-player games at the same time!

Functionally, the rules work as well with 10 players as with 2. Realistically, those die rolls will create a lot of chaos (imagine the fire having 10 turns to kill you while you are standing still) and the added downtime means that a 10-player game is not ideal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plus you can add a victory condition that 14 victims must be saved amongst both houses. For an added challenge, limit to only one captain and imaging tech but allow them to effect either board with their special ability.. You can even limit 1 of each vehicle to be shared by both houses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momerath wrote:
Functionally, the rules work as well with 10 players as with 2. Realistically, those die rolls will create a lot of chaos (imagine the fire having 10 turns to kill you while you are standing still)

This is the big problem. You'll spend half your time either defending other firefighters, or walking back to the action after your numerous free trips to the ambulance.

The large number of turns between any particular single firefighter's successive turns also means you'll never get victims or hazmats anywhere without organizing relay races to hand them off. One guy carrying a given victim every 10 turns isn't going to cut it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ouimet
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people are saying it would be too easy, some people are saying it would be too hard.

I say, try it out and tell us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Momerath wrote:
Yes. My solution: buy two copies of this game, and then play two 5-player games at the same time!

I've only played this game once but I thought the same thing when I read the question. And I have to say that the idea of a 2-alarm fire complete with two side-by-side burning buildings sounds very intriguing to me. 2 fires with simultaneous play. Exciting!

I was gonna by the game after just 1 play... but now I'm thinking I might need two copies! But then again, we almost never have need for a game that plays up to 10 people.

But I LOVE the idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
zuzusdad wrote:

I've only played this game once but I thought the same thing when I read the question. And I have to say that the idea of a 2-alarm fire complete with two side-by-side burning buildings sounds very intriguing to me. 2 fires with simultaneous play. Exciting!

This could be very interesting indeed - perhaps you roll for the board that your firefighter is on, though that might lead to gaming the system.

downtime would be a killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cormier
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
downtime would be a killer.

I think you'd have to play the 2 board simulatneously (i.e. this group is fighting the fire in this building and this group is fighting the fire in the other building). Played at the same time. The race is on to put out 2 fires.

My wife suggested that explosions could potentially explode into the building next door... not sure about that but I'd give it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.