Subject: Is it similar to Guardians of Graxia? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have a box with Guardians of Graxia and by reading summoner wars rulebook these games seem to be quite similar. In SW you have events in GoG you have spells instead. In SW you earn mana by discards in GoG mana is given by your land tiles. There are slightly different rules in regards to combat, movement and card placement. In SW replayability is achieved via expansion decks in GoG it's by constructing different maps out of given terrain tiles.

Can someone who played both these games compare them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KevOne
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very quick answer: Not even close.

I am sure someone will come in with a better detailed explanation meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you elaborate? Did you play both? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Em
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the obvious differences are in the components - Guardians has a modular map board, designed to flucuate based on the specific scenario you are playing. SW is the same grid map 6x4 spaces on each player's side. GoG has differening goals in the scenarios; in Summoner Wars, the goal is always to kill the opponents Summoner. SW battles resolve with a dice roll, whereas unit info and varying card bonuses resolve GoG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Em
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The different factions in Summoner Wars also mean the events, units, etc are very very differemt from each other. The Tundra Orcs play nothing like the Phoenix Elves or the Benders or Vargath...there is quite a bit of expandability with SW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mike, thank you for this, but these are all the technical differences that I already know by reading the rules. What I'm after is subjective opinions on how differently these to games play, the feel of the gameplay in each of them, and which one is more satisfying and why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how many people have played both, but you can try reading the comments section for both games. Guardians of Graxia only has 30 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew S
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
James, Summoner Wars is certainly more popular. Is it better though? Thank you for the hint about the comments section. Can you imagine that all these years I've been using this site, I completely overlooked the comments section, didn't even know it exists! This was a valuable piece of info for me, thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zespri wrote:
James, Summoner Wars is certainly more popular. Is it better though? Thank you for the hint about the comments section. Can you imagine that all these years I've been using this site, I completely overlooked the comments section, didn't even know it exists! This was a valuable piece of info for me, thank you again.

I find the comments section really useful, even more than reviews sometimes, because you can get a wide variety of opinions and see if the reasons people like or dislike a game would similarly turn you on or off to a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter H
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the Guardians of Graxia computer game which I hope is close to how the board game is played.

I also play lots and lots of Summoner Wars.

You are correct in that both games have superficial similarities (units moved around on aboard, spell/event cards, head to head DM/scenarios).

Honestly though the same set of basic descriptions is met by many different games. For example the new Mage Knight board game and many of the tactical combat minis games.

To be frank I found GoG to be much more difficult to play and less rewarding. There are lots of modifiers to each attach which make it difficult at a glance to determine the outcome of each fight.

Summoner wars has a much simpler combat system (which some like and some dont). Even though the games are similar, my opinion is that there is more enjoyment to be found in summoner wars compared to GoG. Rankings/comment volume/forum posts indicate this is a common opinion.

However YMMV. If you have any specific questions I did not address I can try to answer those for you too.

As a side note Summoner Wars is cheap to get into with inexpensive starter packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dapuma Glory Glory Man Utd
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you ever played Dreamblade that would be the closest i would compare it to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.