Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Would you prefer to watch... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
...an action/horror/thriller movie with a big named Star in it, who is awesome, but you know won't die until the end of the film.

Or a similar movie with a bunch of no names meaning you have no idea who will makes it, but who acting quality may be a little bit 'unpredictable'.

Poll: Superstar vs No Names
Would you prefer a SuperStar or No Names?
Immortal SuperStar
No Names
      62 answers
Poll created by Greendan


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it when your expectations are subverted, e.g. in Scream, with Drew Barrymore, the biggest name in it at the time, dieing in the first 5 minutes. Or Deep Blue Sea with Samuel L Jackson carking it soon after he's introduced.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
I like it when your expectations are subverted, e.g. in Scream, with Drew Barrymore, the biggest name in it at the time, dieing in the first 5 minutes. Or Deep Blue Sea with Samuel L Jackson carking it soon after he's introduced.


I had forgotten about Drew. I debated mentioning DBS, as it's a bit of a spoiler, but it is also a totally awesome death!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me Descent or Dog Soldiers anyday.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
The Immortal superstar means the film will most generally have a larger budget and thus the film content (storyline) will be an improvement over B star actors. Sure, the unexpected is nice, but if the producer/writer/director/actor/actress are not top notch, well, wait for the DVD
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Give me Descent or Dog Soldiers anyday.


Dog Soldiers is great, and another one where the Star doesn't make it out. (not wishing to spoil it).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
javapuzzles wrote:
The Immortal superstar means the film will most generally have a larger budget and thus the film content (storyline) will be an improvement over B star actors. Sure, the unexpected is nice, but if the producer/writer/director/actor/actress are not top notch, well, wait for the DVD


This is really the only reason, however, some of those low budget films kick the ass of big budget films.

Some don't, however!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
javapuzzles wrote:
The Immortal superstar means the film will most generally have a larger budget and thus the film content (storyline) will be an improvement over B star actors. Sure, the unexpected is nice, but if the producer/writer/director/actor/actress are not top notch, well, wait for the DVD


How would more money improved Dead Snow?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
How would more money improved Dead Snow?


MOAR ZOMBIES!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's an even earlier & arguably more famous example of a horror/thriller where the one big-name star gets squiffed halfway through....
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gola wrote:
There's an even earlier & arguably more famous example of a horror/thriller where the one big-name star gets squiffed halfway through....


Hmmmm...challenging...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
Gola wrote:
There's an even earlier & arguably more famous example of a horror/thriller where the one big-name star gets squiffed halfway through....


Hmmmm...challenging...


I think he means
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Psycho
5 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gola
United States
Redding
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
and everything under the sun is in tune
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ding.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Janet Leigh is not a household name now, but at the time she was officially a movie star. I've read that a lot of viewers were really shocked by her death, because for the first thirty or forty minutes the movie is 100% and completely about her character and nothing else; it's her story. Suddenly she gets knifed and you're left following around some secondary character you only just met.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never really thought about this until I watched "lost", but whenever they'd have a known actor on the series, it jarringly took me out of the fantasy. After realizing it, I noticed it more in movies I like and watch over and over. They are almost never big name star blockbusters. Yeah, I like them, but I don't truely buy into the character.
Constantine was on the other night and I liked it a lot, but it would have completely rocked if it was anyone else but Keanu. Maybe someone 10 years older and road weary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
I never really thought about this until I watched "lost", but whenever they'd have a known actor on the series, it jarringly took me out of the fantasy. After realizing it, I noticed it more in movies I like and watch over and over. They are almost never big name star blockbusters. Yeah, I like them, but I don't truely buy into the character.
Constantine was on the other night and I liked it a lot, but it would have completely rocked if it was anyone else but Keanu. Maybe someone 10 years older and road weary.


It is a fun movie, but it is such a horrible, horrible mis-cast its crazy! It's like the said "Right, we need to find someone who is the exact opposite to the source material."
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greendan wrote:
col_w wrote:
I like it when your expectations are subverted, e.g. in Scream, with Drew Barrymore, the biggest name in it at the time, dieing in the first 5 minutes. Or Deep Blue Sea with Samuel L Jackson carking it soon after he's introduced.


I had forgotten about Drew. I debated mentioning DBS, as it's a bit of a spoiler, but it is also a totally awesome death!


The best example may be Psycho with Janet Leigh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Finch
United Kingdom
BERKSHIRE
flag msg tools
badge
Rule changes for tonight's game:-
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Laudwic wrote:
The best example may be Psycho with Janet Leigh


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.