Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that you take the lowest odds shift for hexside terrain, but the question came up whether "clear hexside" is an actual TERRAIN. It is not listed on the TEC, so does that mean the following example would have a -1 L shift or -0 L shift?

Example: German units are attacking a hex from two adjacent hexes, one across clear terrain and one across a river. Is the fact that SOME of the units are attacking across a river enough to incur the -1 L shift? Or do all the units have to be attacking across the river?

Our interpretation was that if /ANY/ units are attacking across the river (even if some are not otherwise affected by hexside terrain), the -1 L odds shift would apply. Reasoning was that "clear hexside" is not listed as a HEXSIDE terrain type, so the "lowest of the hexside terrain" types is -1 (river). Anyone know if this is correct?

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Johnsen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
I think you are playing it correctly. That is how my group is playing it. Since the rule says lowest hexside shift, A -1 shift is lower than a 0 shift (mathematically speaking) so even if some of the attacking units are attacking across a river the -1 defender shift would apply.

I had this same question in playing since most games I have played require all attacking units to be attacking over a river to give a defensive bonus to the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The previous version spelled it out better:

Quote:
The combat shifts for hexside terrain applies only if all attacking units are attacking across terrain hexsides, and then the lowest shift applies. For example, a defending unit in a clear hex being attacked exclusively across river hexsides would receive one shift to the left. If some attacking units were attacking across mountain hexsides, the defender would still receive only one shift to the left.

In your case, if any attackers are not attacking across the river, the river hexside is ignored. This is a common rule in most wargames: once the enemy gets a bridgehead across a river, that river is no longer an effective barrier.

See here:
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.ee6d6c9/18923

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darrell has it correct. This has been answered by one of the designers on Consimworld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...thanks!

I was wondering if that was the intent, but the fact that they don't list "clear hexside" as a hexside terrain causes confusion (e.g. did they mean just the lowest of the LISTED hexside terrains or are we to assume that all NON-listed hexside terrains (e.g. clear) are 0 modifier).

-K

P.S. Given that they say -1 is less than -2, the argument that '0' is larger than -1 doesn't hold weight :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a bit confusing and my gaming partner and I had the exact same question, so not unusual to end up here There are enough games that do it one way or the other to make it worth asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Johnsen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Well I guess my group had it wrong. Sorry about that!

What happens then if say while attacking Leningrad 2 stacks attack across the river hexsides and another stack attacks across the straight hexside. Is the modifier then a minus 2 shifts in favor of the defender as that is the higher disadvantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, if you check the TEC, it says that river is +1 left, and strait is +2 left, not -1 or -2. You use the smallest modifier, in this case the +1 left for the river (which is the equivalent of -1 odds ratio).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Erick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

If a stack of units attack across a river and along a road : what modifier should we consider : no effect (for the road) or +1 left (for the river) ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 left for the river. Roads/Rail have no effect on combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.