Subject: Reverse movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I promised myself I would let somebody else ask this, but you've all let me down! cry

Why can't tanks reverse, say one hex into a rear hex at the cost of all their movement points? You read in the action reports of commanders screaming 'Driver, reverse!' as they push their nose through the bocage and suddenly suffer a near-miss from a threatening shot. Would it upset some other game mechanism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, very good question. I was about to say that a vehicle is just another type of unit and hence, could declare a Retreat, but since vehicles don't take Morale checks this isn't right. We may need this sort of thing added, you're right. Jim?

Aside: I knew a British tank commander (father-in-law of a high school friend's sister) from WW2 who did exactly this ... came around a corner in a little village only to see a heavy German tank at the end of the lane traversing around to take a shot at him. He screamed for the driver to reverse and they smashed themselves backwards into a cottage to avoid the shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmb
In my attempts to minimize the rule set, I never put it in. It is not the most important thing in the world, but there are times where it would be useful. It should be in the game and I plan to add it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Krohn wrote:
In my attempts to minimize the rule set, I never put it in. It is not the most important thing in the world, but there are times where it would be useful. It should be in the game and I plan to add it.

Jim, IMHO, has attained the rarified status of a designer/creator who actually cares about his fans and really thinks through his design decisions out in the open with the. I mean, most do put some effort into it, but efforts like this one keep you in a very rarified crowd, Jim. Many thanks ... I hope we're not distracting your from Ghost Panzer too much (can I pre-order yet?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lin lin
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For now, we were thinking with a gaming buddy to add this houserule:

Tank Reverse
+3 MPs / Hex and maybe a proficiency check penality if fire after move (the +4 could become +5 or +6 ?)

Any ideas / suggestions ? Maybe the 3 MPs are not enough and it should be limited to 3 or 4 hexes maximum movement ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.