Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group was playing yesterday and the moderator put in a new role (for us): the Witch. I was both fortunate and unfortunate enough to get it. The problem was that I didn't know how to use it and I feel like we used it incorrectly.

How did we use it, you ask? Well, I had to choose between either killing someone or bringing someone back to life. I was going to use my kill power to help out a seer, but all 3 seers were killed by round 2 (yeah, bad luck). But, the moderator said that I could use it to bring someone back to life. So I brought back one of the seers. Mind you, this seer had just been killed the night before ... it wasn't as if he died the same night and I saved him.

I really feel like we did it wrong. Can someone explain how the Witch is supposed to be used, please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blome
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Special Agent Simon - Essen 2015
mb
During your witch phase, the moderator should inform you who is the victim of the werewolves this night (quietly by pointing). Then you decide, whether you want to heal that player or let him/her die.
Additionally, you can choose to poison someone else.

You have both options once per game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
BenOni wrote:
During your witch phase, the moderator should inform you who is the victim of the werewolves this night (quietly by pointing). Then you decide, whether you want to heal that player or let him/her die.

3 SEERS?? You are definately doing something wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
3 SEERS?? You are definately doing something wrong...

There are four seers in the deck - two standard seers, an aura seer and an apprentice seer. In a huge game three could work. But yeah, that pinged me as well.

Tim, do you know roughly what the role selection was? How many players, how many wolves, which specials?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BenOni wrote:

Yep, this is how it works by the book. You can't let someone die, find out their role, and then raise them from the dead later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rudisill
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had 2 seers + apprentice seer. We also had about 26 or so people playing that game. I played many games that day so my memory is a bit fuzzy on that specific game, but I believe that was the one where we had pretty much no normal villagers. I believe the village won, even though we lost our seers that early. When the werewolves can't bluff as anything and everyone can call out their roles, it means the werewolves can't hide.

The two main moderators used to do that kind of game not infrequently. One of them has realized that it makes it too easy on the village, so he's stopped. I also realized it, so when I moderate, I put in a large amount of villagers. Of course, I still haven't quite figured out how to balance the game yet, since the werewolves seem to dominate. My problem is that I keep the number of team evil the same but reduced all the roles (even getting rid of powerless roles still means that people can't hide behind a name).

So yes, 3 seers was probably a bit much even for a mid-20s sized group.

Thanks for the input on the Witch. That's how I expected it to work and I was very surprised when the moderator let me bring someone back to life who had died the day before. Of course I picked a seer (since they died before getting to say who was safe and they would get to pick another person that night), but I felt like it was wrong the whole time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's very hard to balance a game with all special roles, especially if people know which roles are in the game. Too easy for people to just claim their roles.

A decent rule of thumb is one-half villagers, one-quarter wolves, one-quarter specials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if the wolves for some reason don't kill anyone at night ( ie. they pick a vampire) then the Witch is told silently that no one died. Correct? So confirming this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question. If the werewolves and vampires pick the same player to kill( or any two factions picking someone to kill at night) does the witch's save power still save the player or does the double kill overpower the witch's save power

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.