Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Keegan
United States
Whitman
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I received a bunch of games as part of Mayday's last Kickstarter project and thought I would post some quick impressions now that I've gotten a chance to play most of them.

White Elephant: I host a Yankee Swap every year so we got a kick out of this game. It's a simple game and easy to teach those who aren't familiar with the holiday tradition. Everyone plays a card face down, which represents your 'gift'. A player can either 'open' a gift by taking a face down card or steal a card that is alrady 'open', that is, face up on a table. Each card can only be stolen once per round, so sooner or later some will have to take a face down card. The object is to wind up with the highest valued "gift card" of the three colors you need to collect. We played with 4 but it would be the most fun with the maximum number of players.

Tok Tok Woodman: Played with my nephew and cousins ages 5-10 and they had a blast. Funny enough my Mom seemed to love it just as much! Good game if you have some youngsters in the family.

Get Bit: Played this with some of my regular gaming group. Everyone seemed to liked it. The game has some neat plastic robot men with removable arms and legs, and a shark. They are swimming in a line and the object is to make sure your robot isn't last in line. Everyone plays a card (valued 1-X, X depending on the number of players) face down at the same time. The lowest valued card moves to the front of the line first. So higher numbers are better since you will be moving to the front last. Whoever is last wil Get Bit by the shark and lose a limb. Played cards stay out until you only have 1 card left in hand or you Get Bit! The trick is that if two (or more) people tie then none of those players will move. This made for some interesting turns and evil glares. A fun, quick, 'read your opponents' type of game that's easy to teach and play. I can see us adding this to our regular 'warmup' and 'waiting for people to show up' games.

King's Vineyard: Played a 2 player game and thought it was pretty good. Need a couple of more games to get a better feel for it. It seems a major part of the game is trying to guess when the King will show up and saving your speical cards for just the right time without knowing exactly when that 'right time' is. My sister isn't a fan of games with a lot of downtime between turns, and since actions happen simultaneously with this game I look forward to showing it to her and see what she thinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.