Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very new to painting. I have almost all of my box sets (original and Core) painted but now I am unsure what to do.

I have a bunch of vallejo pigments for snow, sand etc and I have some of their product for putting it on the bases. I tried this with one squad and it just looks like I put some white powder on the base, it looks terrible. I have no idea really the best way to apply these pigments to make them look good, any advice?

Second I want to put on some kind of varnish coat. Again I have a few bottles of vallejo matter and glossy varnish. As with most things of this nature there are no instructions. I assume I dilute this stuff with water since it is visibly white in color. However the thought of painting on two coats of this stuff after all this painting is depressing.

Can I go to a hardware store and buy some spray on varnish or would people advise against it? Is there anyone who doesn't put varnish on? If so does the paint chip away during play etc?

Thanks and sorry for all the newbie questions. Goggling painting tutorials etc is overwhelming sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of a varnish you can dilute with water. I don't believe you should have to dilute it, either, but if you need to, you need to get some kind of solvent, rather than water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wyant
United States
Spindale
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just about any Matte spray will do for the whole models, you can get some at walmart.
After you spray it (and let it completely dry in a warm dry place) you can use the vallejo gloss for shiny surfaces like goggles and lights.

I've never used the snow, but there are several who have, look for their pictures in the gallery.

I paint my bases in summer colors with grass, dirt and rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Robinson
United States
McCordsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
I'm very new to painting. I have almost all of my box sets (original and Core) painted but now I am unsure what to do.

Ugh. I am not new to painting and I have almost everything left to do. Something is wrong here!

dspezzano wrote:
I have a bunch of vallejo pigments for snow, sand etc and I have some of their product for putting it on the bases. I tried this with one squad and it just looks like I put some white powder on the base, it looks terrible. I have no idea really the best way to apply these pigments to make them look good, any advice?

It sounds like you have the weathering pigments from Vallejo. This is different than what people use to create texture on the bases to replicate ground texture (dirt, snow, rocks, etc). Weathering pigments are used to tint a painted surface. People use them make metal look rusted, or to make the guns/cannons looked blackend from use for example. I am no expert on that. In fact, I picked up the Vallejo pigments to try on my Dust figures.

For a textured base, you could use watered down PVA glue (like Elmers brand in the states) and sand. Any fine sand will do. Hobby stores that carry model trains will have different types of railroad ballast that can be used to break up the sameness texture of just the sand. Apply the glue to the base with a brush and dip the model base in the sand. After it dries, paint it white for snow, brown for dirt or a combination of both if you are up to broken ground in the snow.

dspezzano wrote:
Second I want to put on some kind of varnish coat. Again I have a few bottles of vallejo matter and glossy varnish. As with most things of this nature there are no instructions. I assume I dilute this stuff with water since it is visibly white in color. However the thought of painting on two coats of this stuff after all this painting is depressing.

Can I go to a hardware store and buy some spray on varnish or would people advise against it? Is there anyone who doesn't put varnish on? If so does the paint chip away during play etc?

I would suggest a spray on varnish for ease of use. Matte coat is not shiny. Gloss coat is. Most mini modelers prefer the matte coat. One thing to consider is the instructions on the can. Living in Illinois (Indiana here) will make it tough to spray during the winter. Go easy with your minis and coat them in the spring is my suggestion. If you are careful with them, they will be fine.

dspezzano wrote:
Thanks and sorry for all the newbie questions. Goggling painting tutorials etc is overwhelming sometimes.

There is a lot out there to take in. Hope this helps a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice.

Mike I think you are right because I accidentally got some of the snow pigment on the coat of s mini and it looked nice so I left it.

Why is doing the varnish bad in the cold weather out of curiosity? I do all my painting in my basement I have a whole work area set up in there. It's actually pretty warm in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dspezzano wrote:
Thanks for the advice.

Mike I think you are right because I accidentally got some of the snow pigment on the coat of s mini and it looked nice so I left it.

Why is doing the varnish bad in the cold weather out of curiosity? I do all my painting in my basement I have a whole work area set up in there. It's actually pretty warm in there.

You do not want to use any kind of spray varnishes in your basement, unless you are using some kind of fume hood. The fumes from spray varnishes can be dangerous.

Using them outside in the cold can mean they crystallize before they hit the surface you're spraying, which can cause a really ugly effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are plenty of water based varnishes available, like the ones I use. Mine are milky white too, but dry up totally transparent, no need to dillute with water... Since I don´t know exactly what sort of varnish you have, I would recommend doing a test on something else before applying any to your DUST models...Spraying is easier of course, but like the other guys say, that´s definitely an outdoor, warm weather job! Also, don´t use spray after applying static grass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K G
United States
albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
I wasn't born ! I sprang from the forhead of God , as he contemplated a particularly vile joke !
badge
I wasn't born , I was hatched in the deepest darkest part of the ocean , and raised by sharks !
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~beattie/dip.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.