Popular Tags: [View All]
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm buying a gift for a friend whom I game with regularly. He likes pretty much anything from party games to heavy strategy games, but I'm pretty much the only person he gets a chance to play anything other than gateways with.

So I was thinking of buying a 2 player game. Not TOO heavy, but not too simple either. The most difficult game we've played together so far and both enjoyed was Eclipse.

An interesting theme is preferrable. I know he loves Game of Thrones and Warhammer. But that is far from a conclusive list, definitely more fantasy than sci-fi though.

As mechanics he mostly seems to enjoy deck building, strategy, conflict, battle, and some worker placement.

Failing a really good 2 player game that we could both enjoy, the other option is a good gateway game. I know with the friend group we share, games like Carcassonne, Dominion and Munchkin work well. And I know he would love to bring some games along as well instead of me always being the "game carrier".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to grab Innovation as soon as humanly possible.

Feel free to check out my review here: Fourteen Questions About Innovation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he loves Game of Thrones and Warhammer, how about Battles of Westeros?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Engilis
United States
Elk Grove
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battles of Westeros is a great choice. Let me add for your consideration ...

Stronghold .. has a bit of everything you mention except deckbuilding.

War of the Ring ... there's a new edition just out.

Claustrophobia ... more tactical than strategic but terrific none the less.

and a couple of smaller scale games ...

Drako three dwarveds take on a dragon in a card based game.

Hero Card: Orc Wars

Good luck in your quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warhammer: Invasion seems like a good obvious choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Belfort?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Warhammer: Invasion seems like a good obvious choice.

Not sure an LCG is a good idea. Knowing him, if he enjoys the first play, he'll buy every expansion ever released within the week, and then won't play anything else for the next 5 years.

So far all the other recommendations are still in consideration. Westeros seems the most interesting, but it's kinda expensive for me to gift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Warhammer: Invasion would be an obvious choice... A bit less money-hungry would be Summoner Wars. Think of it as a cross between Magic and Chess. Pretty easy to get into, with decent depth. You do need more than just one starter set for variety, though.

Some good gateway games that work very well with 2 players would be Stone Age (worker placement) and Kingdom Builder (basically an abstract).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation is a fun and intense 2-player game, with good LoTR themes and characters. It's like Stratego, but all the pieces have sneaky special abilities in addition to their strengths, and also each player gets to secretly chose and reveal a power card from their hand that can affect the battle as well. The rules are overall pretty simple, but the strategy and battle of wits goes deep.

Race for the Galaxy is a great series, with nice artwork on the cards and plenty of strategy, though virtually no direct conflict (even with the expansions, conflict is relatively minimal). This game plays great with 2, but can handle 4 players (or up to 6 w/ 2 expansions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jose silva

Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
mbmbmbmbmb
A Few Acres of Snow was the game of the year 2011 in my book, regardless 2p or multiplayer. it shouldnt be missing in this list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars: Master Set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.