Subject: My job just became a lot more difficult [RANT] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the spec I must implement in the product I'm working on. Here are the first two paragraphs:
Quote:
ABNORMAL DETECTION DISTINCTION AT POWER LED (LED_RED)

It has a case that need to Power OFF immediately after detected an abnormal condition without display any error indication due to safety matter. In such case, a trouble point can be judged by a distinction indication at POWER LED which current is being supplied during Power off.

Basically, it is decided to be distinguished which input port of the system microcomputer was detected or which communication information was detected. Moreover, two kinds of over-voltage and drop-voltage are decided to be distinguished, and contents of indication are decided to be changed when it is detected in the range of the A/D value in the A/D input port, for example the over-voltage, the normality voltage, the drop-voltage of the power supply line are being monitored.
And the later parts of the spec actually make less sense than this.

So...yeah. I'll get right on it. Whatever it is I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I like my job, but when I'm given things like this to do, not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the cover on your TPS report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Through The Ages
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That normality voltage will get you every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems to have been written by androids with a somewhat faulty language generator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fluent in over six million forms of communication. I think they're saying "hello."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I was getting lost in techie babble. Then I realized, this is unintelligible by anyone babble.

This is about as ineligible as the first few lines of the instruction in: El Grande: Grandissimo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rest of the spec, and pondering what it could mean, I think that what they're saying here is "When there is an error detected in the amplifier, the red LED must blink in a way that indicates which of the error conditions has triggered." I'm writing a program that will be running inside a subwoofer with a red LED and a blue LED, so this would be a reasonable request for them to make.

So that's what I'll build. And hopefully it is what they want. But who knows, maybe they mean something totally different, in which case I'll point to the spec and say "But RIGHT HERE you say that this is what you want! It's plain as day!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
wmshub wrote:
After reading the rest of the spec, and pondering what it could mean, I think that what they're saying here is "When there is an error detected in the amplifier, the red LED must blink in a way that indicates which of the error conditions has triggered." I'm writing a program that will be running inside a subwoofer with a red LED and a blue LED, so this would be a reasonable request for them to make.

So that's what I'll build. And hopefully it is what they want. But who knows, maybe they mean something totally different, in which case I'll point to the spec and say "But RIGHT HERE you say that this is what you want! It's plain as day!"

Do you get paid a lot of money for bluffing your case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
That reads like something that's been translated by Google into Hungarian and then back again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Selkirk
Canada
Truro
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Sir, welcome to the club.

You, as I am, a veteran, long term worker. Not nessecarily devoted, but one with a conviction to see the job done.
Now, with your experience and willingness to try to accomplish your mission with your boss's objectives in mind, you find it impossible, you will actually do it and look good for a few minutes. Good show. Good work. Carry on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
I just got the spec I must implement in the product I'm working on. Here are the first two paragraphs:
Quote:

It has a case that need to Power OFF immediately after detected an abnormal condition without display any error indication due to safety matter. In such case, a trouble point can be judged by a distinction indication at POWER LED which current is being supplied during Power off.

Basically, it is decided to be distinguished which input port of the system microcomputer was detected or which communication information was detected. Moreover, two kinds of over-voltage and drop-voltage are decided to be distinguished, and contents of indication are decided to be changed when it is detected in the range of the A/D value in the A/D input port, for example the over-voltage, the normality voltage, the drop-voltage of the power supply line are being monitored.

So...yeah. I'll get right on it. Whatever it is I'm supposed to do. Sometimes I like my job, but when I'm given things like this to do, not so much.

Pfffftttt. At least you get a requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:

See, I was thinking that they wanted it to power off when the LED turned on. I'm not sure how the LED was going to get on, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Quote:

Indeed. Do you have any idea how rare it is to get actual requirements are in a project?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really what could be simpler than to have a single red LED indicate a range of voltage errors over a single continuous distibution? The odds of encountering a particular invalid voltage on such a distribution of analog values is zero, so just don't ever turn on the light. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
From part of a gift of BOBmess past:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbucak wrote:
That reads like something that's been translated by Google into Hungarian and then back again.
The people who wrote this are in Malaysia, but employees of a Japanese company. Who knows the native language of the author. It looks like I may be going to Malaysia soon just to straighten things out - hopefully in a face to face meeting things will make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Higginbottom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreadnaut wrote:
wmshub wrote:
Quote:

Requirements are overrated. I have just finished a software project where some "critical fundamental" requirements appeared 2 days after the project went live! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.