Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation – Next Phase» Forums » General

Subject: Combining Sets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Goldberg
United States
Longmont
co
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of mixing the base set and the expansion. I can't think of any disadvantages of this but was wondering if anyone has done this yet and the results? I was also thinking of separating the starbase cards and the character cards so there is always a nice mix of cards in the starbase. I wish they included dividers in the expansion, the box is such a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mixed all the starbase cards together and it works just fine. You'll probably not want to combine the Borg scenario cards together. It could really throw off the balance and make it run extremely long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
What about mixing the two basic space decks? No problems there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mixed the two starbase decks together. I'm worried about balance issues of mixing together any of the mission decks (borg I, borg II, exploration I, exploration II) so I keep them apart. Some of them have cards that assume the deck is a certain size. The collection cards in exploration II would be much worse in a larger deck. I used the two ship decks to make two ship decks with some from each set in them. I did my best to mix them in a balanced way, so roughly the same number of 75 cost in each ship deck, roughly the same number of special rules ships, etc. So now at the start of the game we have the starbase deck, one set of starter officers, choose one of six mission decks, and one of two starship decks (usually randomly for starship decks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hida Mann wrote:
What about mixing the two basic space decks? No problems there?

I'm going to just combine the starbase cards, but I was curious about mixing the exploration deck myself. Can I just combine both sets' exploration decks? Should I combine, shuffle and only use a set number? If so, what's a good number? Should I toss the ships from the base game and just replace them with the new ships (I've read that the base game's ships aren't thought of very highly)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaime Lawrence
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
designer
Jingle Bells, Cthanta Smells, I will kick his ass
badge
Because I am an awesome Crab with style, charm and class, oh!
mbmb
I've stuffed them all in together, I'll let you know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've mixed everything together for free-for-all and co-op (Borg) scenarios. As we play, we might revise and customize the decks. For example, for the Borg scenario, we might remove cards from the star base deck that involve "opponents" (e.g. base game cards Will Riker, Deanna Troi, Lwaxana Troi, Tam Elbrun, Bok, etc). Similarly, there are some cards we might remove from free-for-all that were clearly designed for co-op or team play - although most of them do say "your or your teammate's", so could still be useful in non-coop scenarios (e.g. Sarek from the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Bofill

Bellcaire d'Empordà
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also about to combine both starbase sets, but I was wondering if there will then be any way to separate them again, as for what I've seen there is no expansion icon or nothing similar in the expension cards to identify them.
Also, I'm wondering if I keep 4 whormholes in the deck as it is huger, or to put only 2 or maybe 3.

For the space deck, I'm sure I will not mix them, but still not sure on mixing together the 30 starships, because of then the starship percentage will be highly increased. How did you do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grifwl wrote:
I'm also about to combine both starbase sets, but I was wondering if there will then be any way to separate them again, as for what I've seen there is no expansion icon or nothing similar in the expension cards to identify them.
Also, I'm wondering if I keep 4 whormholes in the deck as it is huger, or to put only 2 or maybe 3.

For the space deck, I'm sure I will not mix them, but still not sure on mixing together the 30 starships, because of then the starship percentage will be highly increased. How did you do this?

It's very small, but IIRC, there's a copyright (C) date near the edge of the card art. If it's 2011, it's from the base game. If it's 2012, it's from the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quint Wheeler
United States
North Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
Q
badge
Q
mbmbmbmbmb
Grifwl wrote:

I shuffle in only the new ships since they have flip effects. I make the original ships available for purchase from the starbase, but only after at least one person has diplomacied a ship of the same point level from the space deck. I have them cost 6/8/10 xp for the 25/50/75 point ships - and they also cost you your explore for the turn. I think I got the idea from another thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joan Bofill

Bellcaire d'Empordà
Girona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Grifwl wrote:

It's very small, but IIRC, there's a copyright (C) date near the edge of the card art. If it's 2011, it's from the base game. If it's 2012, it's from the expansion.
You were right, the © is differents except for the cards that are equal in both sets, that keep the 2011©.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.