Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you encounter a monster in an other world, exactly what happens to it?

Obviously the first thing to do is make a horror check, but then things get a little fuzzy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Norris
United States
Southbridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fight or flee... If you fight and win, keep it as a monster trophy. If you successfully flee, back into the cup with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing you do is decide if you want to fight it or run away. If you want to run away, then you attempt an Evade check. If you succeed, then it goes back in the monster bag. If you fail, or decide to fight, than you make a Horror check and start combat as normal.

If you lose the fight and go to Lost in Time and Space, then the monster goes bag in the bag. It will never sit on the board in an Other World. And if you win, you keep the trophy (or depending on the monster, turn it in for something else) as normal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh. So you only make the horror check if you fail to sneak past.

So it seems to be:

1. Sneak and pass, move on, monster goes to cup
2. Sneak and fail, take damage, do horror check, then fight or flee

Combat never ends until either the investigator flees, is lost in time and space, or the monster is defeated.

Got it. Combat still seems to be tripping me up a little bit when I'm trying to keep the game flowing smoothly >.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Zorch wrote:
When you encounter a monster in an other world, exactly what happens to it?

Obviously the first thing to do is make a horror check, but then things get a little fuzzy for me.

I think to answer your question we need to find out why you are "fuzzy" about what you need do because the simple answer is that you treat such monsters as you do any other monster. I'm not sure what it is that might be causing you any confusion..

There are two possible areas that might help explain what happens.

First, what does your investigator do with the monster. From page 9 of the Rules under Phase IV: Other World Encounters.
Quote:
The card text of an Other World encounter may result in a
monster appearing, in which case the investigator must
either evade the monster (see "Evading Monsters," page 14)
or fight it (see "Combat," page 14).

So you do not make a Horror check first. You decide if you want to Evade or not. Only if you go into Combat do you then make a Horror check before you decide to Fight or Flee.

Second, what do you (as a Player) do with the monster. Again, from page 9 of the Rules under Phase IV: Other World Encounters.
Quote:
Monsters that appear as the result of location or gate
encounters never remain on the board after the
encounter is resolved. If an investigator evades such a
monster, return it to the monster cup (see "Monsters in
Encounters," page 22).

And from page 22, Monsters in Encounters.
Quote:
Many location and Other World encounters indicate that
a monster appears. To resolve such an encounter, the
player must draw a monster from the monster cup and
resolve the encounter as normal (i.e., the investigator
may attempt to evade the monster or fight it). No matter
how the encounter is resolved, the monster is never left
on the board.
The monster is returned to the monster
cup, regardless of whether the investigator evades or
defeats the monster, or is knocked unconscious or driven
insane by it.

Maybe it would help to point out that the only way monsters appear in the Other World is via the OW Encounter cards (and the OW Encounter cards do not have "A gate and a monster appear!" outcomes, only "A monster appears!" outcomes).

Therefore, if you encounter a monster in the OW, it is never left on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that my issues with combat stem not so much from the combat processes as from the timing of combat itself.

For example, when the hound of tindalos teleports to an investigator during its movement phase, does combat always occur right then and there? Or later during a different phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Zorch wrote:
I'm thinking that my issues with combat stem not so much from the combat processes as from the timing of combat itself.

For example, when the hound of tindalos teleports to an investigator during its movement phase, does combat always occur right then and there? Or later during a different phase?

Judging by your comment it seems in this case your confusion might have more to do with not understanding the game phases.

In Arkham Horror, you must constantly chant to yourself the following mantra.

"Follow the Phases, follow the Phases".

Ask yourself this, when the Hound of Tindalos moves (or "teleports"), in which phase does it do so?

Ask yourself this, in which phase(s) might Combat occur?

Monster movement normally occurs during...

Phase V: Mythos > step 3 Move Monsters

Does combat usually occur during this step? No, there is even an example in the rulebook. Page 11.
Quote:
No encounter with the monster takes place during this
phase, but the investigators will be forced to evade or
fight the monster during the Movement Phase.

Example: A Star Spawn moves into Uptown, where Joe
Diamond and Ashcan Pete are currently located. During
their next Movement Phase, one or possibly both of
these investigators will need to deal with the Star
Spawn.

When can combat next occur?

Phase II: Movement > Evading Monsters

I suggest you have another read of the rulebook and try and understand the turn and Phase sequence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peffeboss van der Miljes
Sweden
flag msg tools
I too was confused how to treat monsters in the other worlds, not because of the phases as discussed above, but simply because it is NOT treated as a regular monster in Arkham.

As mentioned above; if you evade the monster it goes back to the monster cup; which is not the case in Arkham.

We played a half game with a monster lurking in the Dreamlands.

This is a logical hole in the rule book; glad that it´s patched now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peffeboss van der Miljes
Sweden
flag msg tools
Haha, sorry! I just saw that it IS covered in the rule book; my fault being a sloppy reader :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just goes to show it can be easily missed! I dont feel bad about missing it because the rules are fairly heavy and you are pretty much certain to miss a few when you start out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.