Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Bios: Megafauna» Forums » Rules

Subject: Reducing roadrunner DNA rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The roadrunner rule states that two genes can be spent to alter a roadrunner, and therefore it can be increased or decreased using this rule. Can you decrease roadrunner DNA that came from mutation cards and inheritance tiles, or just from DNA previously 'purchased' through the roadrunner rule?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good one....I have no idea but I want to say no
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the comments for your answer.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to say no too - didn't feel right. But it seems that it is legal anyway (thanks Smoo).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Silzer
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Road Runner DNA is recorded on the RR track there is a logical link to the Mutation cards. Our gamer group plays that if you reduce the track using Rule 4.2e you must drop the appropriate DNA from your specie's deck. as an example you have a 1R DNA in your Specie's deck and you reduce the track by 1R. The player removes the card or the road runner tile with the 1R. That would be the good news if it were not attached to other DNA. If it is a tile then it may be flipped to the next lower tile. If it were an R on a crad which had other DNA then the whole card would have to be discarded and any adjustment to the tracks would follow.

The rule of thumb we fins to be most useful is to look at all rules "literally" and lit the logical consequence follow. If it is not possible to achieve a resolution then the situation cannot not be entered into.

If we are in error please let us know but this has been working for our group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterdragon wrote:
The rule of thumb we fins to be most useful is to look at all rules "literally" and lit the logical consequence follow. If it is not possible to achieve a resolution then the situation cannot not be entered into.
This would be entirely correct if it were not for the optional RoadRunner rule in the Living Rules. This basically lets you add (or subtract) RR DNA as you please so you can compete with carnivores/herbivores in a Biome. A rule which basically makes the entire game, based on the acquisition of DNA randomly (through card draw) a nonsense.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Is Board
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Masterdragon wrote:
The rule of thumb we fins to be most useful is to look at all rules "literally" and lit the logical consequence follow. If it is not possible to achieve a resolution then the situation cannot not be entered into.
This would be entirely correct if it were not for the optional RoadRunner rule in the Living Rules. This basically lets you add (or subtract) RR DNA as you please so you can compete with carnivores/herbivores in a Biome. A rule which basically makes the entire game, based on the acquisition of DNA randomly (through card draw) a nonsense.


Having played the game both ways, I vastly prefer the living rules; what is nonsense is being completely hosed due to a lack of roadrunner genes, and it comes at a hefty price.

besides,you still can't purchase any of the other genes so there is still plenty to fight over.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The roadrunner rules exist only to appease those who think the game is too hard. Presumably they'd also like the snakes taken out of Snakes & Ladders to make that easier too.

The only real problem with the game is the probable (not even consistent) shortage of land Biomes at the initial setup (when your creatures have no Marine DNA and therefore can get isolated). Instead of addressing that problem, the Living Rules just simplified the entire game. More Biomes at setup fixes that problem, and retains the original concept of the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Klinkisch
Germany
Heidelberg
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
The only real problem with the game is the probable (not even consistent) shortage of land Biomes at the initial setup (when your creatures have no Marine DNA and therefore can get isolated). Instead of addressing that problem, the Living Rules just simplified the entire game. More Biomes at setup fixes that problem, and retains the original concept of the game.


What Wulf said. That and one big difference to AMF: there are no prerequisite-free biomes anymore.

The new rule does make the game easier, but in my experience you end up with super-species with a LOT of dna. Yeah, there are catastrophes, but not nearly enough to scare people from having HSSSMANBB creatures...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.