Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
This is on my 'wants' list because of the topic. However, I suspect that I will struggle to ever get it to the table with the family. So the question is, how good is the solo game? Is it worth getting to only play solo (or where any mulit-player game would be a bonus)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AnnuverScotinExile wrote:
Is it worth getting to only play solo (or where any mulit-player game would be a bonus)?

Yes - from my review posted to this site:

SOLITAIRE

It is worth noting that BIOS is an excellent solitaire game. There is a solo two-tusker scenario included in the package, but it's not as good as simply playing several sides and doing your best with each to prevent their species from dying off. As previously mentioned, there is a lot of randomness in this game which can be good for solitaire play, and also for refreshing multi-player sessions. Some hobbyists may view the game's abundant chaos as a negative however, so be forewarned if this is a priority play consideration for you.

There is no hidden hand of cards for a player since when purchased, a mutation or Genotype card must be played immediately or discarded. All species on the table are also always open for inspection. These two things greatly add to the high solitaire suitability for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lanzing
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't believe the game was designed with solitaire in mind. The solitaire "two-tusker" scenario included with the rules is passable, but not terribly engaging. The two-tusker AI tends to self-destruct quickly, and then you're left playing solitaire without an opponent. It is only challenging if no catastrophes come up in your game. As Steve said, you're really better off playing both sides of a 2-player game.

Is it fun? There's something intriguing about the experience, which is colored by the obvious attention to scientific detail. It is unique and educational. I must confess to trying around a dozen solo plays with different rule variants. But I don't think any game designed for competitive play is going to shine in single-player, and Bios Megafauna is no exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have a few plays under my belt but I enjoyed the solo two-tusker scenario. It does fall short in the self-destructing way mentioned: in one of my games the AI stranded itself in the corner of the board due to the Atlantic Rift.

I'm thinking about playing two colors and the two-tuskers, playing each color as competitively as possible just for fun. There's no hidden information in the game, so the game is soloable in that respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the game long, but I solo'ed a number of 2-player games while getting the rules worked out and they were fun. After that, it's actually not that difficult to teach to others - it took may be 20 mins to teach it to my family and they now enjoy it, so may be your family will take to it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
wadenels wrote:
in one of my games the AI stranded itself in the corner of the board due to the Atlantic Rift.

My spouse did exactly that in our last game, so don't be too harsh on the AI! She spread across the rift, then a catastrophe opened it up and simultaneously killed off all her animals on the American side of the ocean! She couldn't get back as you need to (a) swim and (b) have two sea biomes on either side that you can swim between. Quite entertaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
second play of the game was solo (after a semi-disastrous read the rules and play experience at a con last month).

I thought I'd add, solo-playing 3 "players" made my brain explode. Too much info to keep track of. I'd suggest solo-playing 2P first.

And by the way, I strongly urge you to hide the genotype cards (noted as an optional beginner setup) until you get more used to the...it definitely was too much to keep track of for me...and I'm not sure those cards add much to the game when you are trying to learn everything up front (I suspect like a good spice they would add quite a bit once you get the main course figured out).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience, out the box it plays OK solo, but not perfectly. There's a reworked solo variant in the living rules which in my opinion plays better. Though I should probably say that I am biased, in that I wrote it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric knox
Canada
Woodstock-1h from capital of NB
New brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a quote from your post on my Gaming Club's site. Hope that is OK? "Is it fun? There's something intriguing about the experience, which is colored by the obvious attention to scientific detail. It is unique and educational."-Kevin Lanzing (game designer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.