Popular Tags: [View All]
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
played 3 2-player games tonight, and only a total of one (1) wound for all 3 games!! there are so many cards that "deflect" attacks, and so few "attack cards" that every game was simply a race (aided by energy cards, which can be played 2-3-4 at a time aiding movement) to collect treasures and run back to base. i would have hand after hand with only 1 attack card; that would be "checked" and then i had no way of stopping other Wiz from just running back to base. Seems to me, way too many energy/defensive cards and way too few attack cards. Am i simply missing something??? (thanks)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only play one energy card per turn to boost movement.

Regarding the proportion of attack cards, what schools were you playing with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you are casting multiple spells, you can boost each of them with different energy cards on the same turn, but you can't dump all your energy cards into one effect, including movement.

I'm also guessing your card mix might be off. Some schools have more of an attack or defense focus, but nothing that should render attacks worthless.
Elementalism is full of attacks, and most of the stuff you transform into lets you punch for extra damage. Combine for extra pain. Cast firecloak & mightstone, then change into a werewolf and you can just claw them to death.

Also, are you remembering to only use one of the cantrip decks? The 2nd one is only for use in certain variants. If you just toss them all in it will alter the ratio a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Spezzano
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a similar experience tonight although we didn't play the boost move wrong like you did. Heh if we did one turn I would of been able to move 14 spaces.

I think the recommended schools are not ripe with attack cards, I also think a 2 player game especially if new to the game can lead to less conflict. In my case I didn't draw a single attack card the whole game which seemed really off.

I also think some of the optional rules that were in the original game really need to be used in a 2 player game. I have the feeling this plays much better with 3 or 4 then it does 2 though.

Next time we're going to try different schools of magic and if that doesn't help might reduce the schools we put in from 3 to 2 along with the cantrips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Lovelace
United States
Amsterdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just played a 2 player game tonight. we both ran in for a chest while casting walls and such to slow the other down and then had a huge slugfest where we were both down to 1hp and then i won by punching him. we had the wolf head, magic wand, and water drop decks. sorry cant remember the name of each school. it was a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Had two games today.

One was a bit of a treasure race, but, if you're about to lose on treasures, you had better just pick up one of your own and make them take it.

The second game was quite a fantastic goofy cauldron of thaumaturgy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, playing for learning is fun . . . but do you think this is really a two player game?

Maybe try A Few Acres of Snow [running for cover!].

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhamin wrote:
If you are casting multiple spells, you can boost each of them with different energy cards on the same turn, but you can't dump all your energy cards into one effect, including movement.

I'm also guessing your card mix might be off. Some schools have more of an attack or defense focus, but nothing that should render attacks worthless.
Elementalism is full of attacks, and most of the stuff you transform into lets you punch for extra damage. Combine for extra pain. Cast firecloak & mightstone, then change into a werewolf and you can just claw them to death.

Also, are you remembering to only use one of the cantrip decks? The 2nd one is only for use in certain variants. If you just toss them all in it will alter the ratio a bit.
anyone tried playing using ALL the decks??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kovach
msg tools
Yes, veteren player versus first timer. We decided to throw all the cards together. First game was a slugfest. I cast a boosted fireball and he had backlash, boom 12 points of damage. He finally ended up killing me.

Second game I was able to trap him long enough to run around and win.The variety with using all the cards was very interesting. At one time though it was a matter of cycling through the deck to get the right card.

Can't wait to play again with the different variations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristoffer Simonsson
Sweden
Gothenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not having the game in front of me I can't seem to remember that there's a boost option for the Fireball?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.