3 Posts

Dungeon Run» Forums » Strategy

Subject: How and when do you like to back stab? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Platy Hiker
msg tools
mbmb
My family has been playing and enjoying this game, but we're all new to the back stab dynamic in a dungeon crawl type game. I'd like to hear more about how and when other people back stab, and anything you do to get in a good situation for the end game.

Here's what we've done:
At first, we played in a mostly cooperative way - a good amount of assisting to kill monsters, but the first person who could do so would scoop up the treasure. We cooperated on killing the boss, and then started battling it hero vs. hero. Once the boss hero got a bit ahead, the end game was a bit dissatisfying (no way to catch up and force the boss hero to fight).

In another game, I added a bit more back stabbing by not assisting a hero when the boss was getting close to death, in the hopes of that hero becoming weakened before the end game started. (I should have also sabotaged, but I forgot that option.) In another game, one hero attacked another hero right after the boss showed up, seeing as she couldn't use her brawn against the boss and her magic was 1.

I look forward to reading other folks's ideas and strategies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh...it's all fun and games until the last tile is drawn... devil

There is no doubt this is a competitive game. Even assists need to be self serving, 'how does this decision help position ones character'.

This is pretty basic stuff and has been mentioned in previous forums but play to combat opponents skills, for example make sure to roam and collect enough treasure to guard yourself against the slipper slimy pickpocket Stabbins! It has happened where he was able to pickpocket the Summoner Stone and waltz out the door...oh wait that was me Waiting for an opponent to weaken themselves in combat is another good option! In our games there have never been direct player attacks before the last tile draw.

Despite my opening quip, I do think back stabbing is best started before the end game to try and avoid the easy win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Done

Portland
Oregon
msg tools
I have really started to like the idea of starting a game with a smack to another player. If I ever play a game as the Knight with Benevolent Presence, I can tell you now my first action will be to attack another player while forcing as many other players to assist me as possible. Lookout Stabbins!

The first half of the game is a race for power, and the second half is a bloodbath/race to the exit. Encounters are assets, players are threats. At least that's how I see it. Now, if you've smacked another player around a bit, they have more incentive to assist you and heal, and less incentive to run off and get put down by a random encounter. Even their sabotaging you becomes more risky.

If your friends are willing to be nice with you and give you things that you want...consider not beating them. But otherwise, yes. Club them like piñatas till the treasure you want spills out. Sabotage them when they might slay the encounter you want. Assist when you need to and it won't be terribly consequential. And never, ever let them run off on their own! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.