Popular Tags: [View All]
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard's Tournament is a deckbuilding game that is currently campaigning via Kickstarter for funds to produce the game itself. View the kickstarter page here - Wizard's Tournament Kickstarter Page for more information and to back the project so you can get your own copy.

I downloaded the print and play demo and played a few games with my son. I thought I would post a review here based on those games with the PnP demo. I'll go over the game itself and the rules and then give my opinion on it. Please note, since the game has yet to be produced, graphic design and artwork, as well as rules are subject to change.

Game Basics

The game is for 2 players but also includes optional rules that allow you to play with 3 or 4 players. ( attack to the left ) Each player starts with 30 life and the goal is to reduce the other players life to zero to win the game. The game is recommended for ages 12+ but my son is 11 and had no problems and I suspect younger kids could grasp the game as well ( although some artwork may be inappropriate for younger children )

Cards

There are currently 4 types of cards; Spells, Relics, Spirit and Monsters. Each card also has one or more icons/numbers on them as well. A blue square ( with a number inside ) represents how much spirit that card provides. Spirit is the resource of the game and is used to purchase as well as play the various cards. A green square ( with number inside ) represents the cost ( in spirit ) to purchase that card from the center area ( during the purchase phase )and also the cost ( in spirit ) to actually put the card into play from your hand. A red square ( with number inside ) represents a monsters attack and defense value. ( amount of damage is dished when attacking and amount it can take before dying ). In addition, each card type (other than spirit) also have a special ability listed on them.

It important to note that spell cards contain a green and a blue icon box so can be played as a spell for their ability or used for the spirit according to the blue icon square.

Set-Up

The game is setup much like other deckbuilders ( dominion for ex. ) with a common area with 12 unique piles of cards. Each pile has 6 copies of said card. The 12 cards used for each game are randomly determined much in the way other deck builders work. This allows for alot of replay value as each game played will likely have a unique combination of cards. ( note: pnp demo only comes with 12 unique cards, actual game will come with many more ) Each player is given a starting deck that contains 10 Spirit cards. Next you determine who goes first and that player draws 1 card and the other player draws 3. Now its time to start the game.

Gameplay

Each turn is divided up into 5 phases; Draw, Purchase, Activation, Combat and End. Draw phase you draw 5 cards. Your hand limit is 10 so if any drawn cards put you over ten they go directly to your discard pile and never actually make it to your hand. Purchase phase is where you can purchase cards from the center area by spending the spirit you have in your hand. You can only buy 1 copy of a card but can buy as many different cards as you can afford. Activation phase is where you play cards from your hand and/or activate cards in play for their ability ( relics for ex. ) The combat phase is where you attack your opponent with monsters to try and reduce his health to zero. Finally the end phase is where everything is cleaned up. Play goes back and forth until a players health is reduced to zero. At that point the game immediately ends and the other player is declared the winner.

The rules and gameplay are a little more in depth than I noted but I just wanted to give a brief overview of how it plays. Rules can be downloaded from the kickstarter page ( along with the pnp version ).

Conclusion

The artwork is fantastic, my only gripe would be that a couple pieces of the artwork is of an anime/manga style. I prefer the normal fantasy artwork and think that style detracts from the overall artwork. The graphic design or template of the card I think could use a little work. I like how the whole card shows off the artwork, but I dont like the colored cubes being used. ( this could all change with the final production, I dont know )

As for the game itself, to me it plays like Magic: The Gathering but with a deckbuilding element. I like this alot as the playing fields are equal in the beginning with each player building their decks as the game progresses. It also eliminated the collectibility issue of Magic that so many people hate.

The game also plays pretty quick, almost to quick for my taste. Im not sure if players should start with more life or if certain spell cards should be toned down ( 10 points of damage from one spell is pretty absurd ) Regardless, I have fun playing the game and so does my son. And that is what it's all about in the end.

The kickstarter campaign still has over a month left at the time of this review so there is time to get on board. The goal is a little high but I think it can be reached once people hear about the game and try it out. So go download the PnP and get playin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for giving us your thoughts...I agree about the card layout regarding the text box and square number boxes.

I'm planning on funding this, sounds like a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
United States
Simi Valley
CA
flag msg tools
I would have to throw out the anime/manga style cards... ugh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.