Hide
14 Posts

Munchkin» Forums » General

Subject: Everyone is ganging up on me rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
So Salty
msg tools
So, I play this with my friends on Friday after class. However, I take winning very seriously. In my most recent game with my friends, they decided upon themselves to just screw me over. They would strictly play curses on me and help each other over me. The game ended with four people having levels 10,8,7 and 1. I was the 1. The person got to 10 because everyone else spent too many of their resources screwing me over.

That game, I was able to get cards thanks to charity, but I never got past level 3. How can I overcome this the next time I play? I feel like pretending to not care would not work because they remember grudges as long as I do and they'll probably see through my strategy. It also didn't work because I tried to not care when this game was going on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's tricky. My friends used to gang up on whoever owned the game, becuase apparently owning it means you're better at it. Tell them that it's no fun if they always gang up on you, and you'd rather play something else if they're always going to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Salty
msg tools
Unfortunately, I own the game and I am the one always pushing them to play this game. Although a couple of them say they would never play this game again, they are always drawn back to it.

Anyway, I have an idea. I'm thinking about asking a classmate to come join us when we play this game, but I'm going to have this classmate play for me and I will just give advice. My friends would have no grudges against my classmate and I can win by extension through my classmate with my advice.

Sadly, this was how the cold war was fought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Badger
England
London
Enfield
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose you could do to them what they do to you. Pick one of them at random, and you and the new guy constantly pick on them regardless. When they complain, point out that that's what they did to you last time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
SoSalty wrote:
Unfortunately, I own the game and I am the one always pushing them to play this game. Although a couple of them say they would never play this game again, they are always drawn back to it.

Anyway, I have an idea. I'm thinking about asking a classmate to come join us when we play this game, but I'm going to have this classmate play for me and I will just give advice. My friends would have no grudges against my classmate and I can win by extension through my classmate with my advice.

Sadly, this was how the cold war was fought.

I always suspected it might be possible for Munchkin to be less fun than it is but I hadn't figured out the key yet. Playing by proxy might be the way to make this game more painful than drinking battery acid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Buss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
SoSalty wrote:
However, I take winning very seriously.

This is not the right way to play Munchkin.

SoSalty wrote:
they decided upon themselves to just screw me over.

This is the right way to play Munchkin.

When my group plays Munchkin (we have both the base one and the zombies one) none of us are looking for the win. Of course it's the objective, but when we play, we look for a lot of laughs, funny situations, people screaming "take that!", all the negotiations with treasures and things like these.

Just screw up everybody too from the start of the game... the (very) worst case scenario is 3 hours of Munchkin and nobody past level 4.

If you really want to take winning very seriously as you say, I think you can find a lot of better games for this purpose... maybe go to the general forums and ask for some recommendations based on what type of mechanics or themes you like most
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Salty
msg tools
To be honest, I don't really think I take winning that seriously. I said I did because that's the reason they gave when they started working against me. I want to win every game, but I'm fine with losing (especially in real life situations). However, I want to win more than everyone else at our gathering. They thought it was too much apparently.

I don't mind losing, I just don't want to be the guy everyone gangs up on and I want to circumvent this in someway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So Salty
msg tools
Like I said, they hold grudges over me longer than I hold grudges. Perhaps I should convince them that we'll wipe the slate clean in the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've pretty much got to keep it light with Munchkin. Play like you don't care because you should try really not to care. Play wrecklessly. Go after someone because they looked at you a little funny. Single out one of your friends and throw everything at him for no good reason. The main thing is to let go of winning. If you have a good time playing, you just won something much more valuable than the game.

Now, why are your friends ganging up on you and holding grudges like they're a team? It seems a little strange, and I hope these friends are good to you otherwise, because it's not very nice for them all to have fun at your expense.

That said, the game owner is always targeted. I've been there more than a few times myself. I just go along with it, and laugh it off as best I can, but if we end up playing the right game and I have the opportunity I'll use the fact that I know that they are going to gang up on me to my advantage. It's hard to find that opportunity in Munchkin.

If you're with true friends and you play long enough, singling you out will get old pretty fast and you can just all sit back and have a good time. If you can keep it light that'll happen sooner rather than later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I repeat that if your playing Munchkin seriously "to win", you aren't playing it right.

It sounds a bit like your friends think you've been acting like a jerk. Take stock and think if maybe this might be true.

If you want to play a fast card-drawing/playing game where your friends can't screw you over just for being a jerk - I'm going to suggest Bang! It's not quite the same - there is still the element of attacking each other, but because some of your friends may be on your team, and their goal will probably be killing a different player to you, they might leave you alone. If they all gang up and kill you first, face facts you're probably being a jerk.

If you want to win, and don't want your friends to gang up on you - play a cooperative game where you are all on the same team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Bang!
... that is unless you're the Sheriff then you're screwed, especially if the deputies turn on you.

I remember teaching my game group Ca$h and Gun$. The first round every gun was pointed at me. I knew it was going to happen, so I wimped out and took a shame marker. Regardless a few rounds later I was dead.

Another thing to try with the group might be a game with less player interaction. A worker placement game maybe or an auction game.

You could also go the other way and force more interaction and hopefully they'll go after each other. Something like Intrigue that is sure to start fights and you possible could count on them going against you and use that against them. Cosmic Encounter may also work well like that where they could gang up against you, but you have the opportunity to outsmart them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddell wrote:
+1 for Bang!
... that is unless you're the Sheriff then you're screwed, especially if the deputies turn on you.

Yes. I agree.

I've now decided Shadow Hunters is a better version of this style of game.

Bang has too many symbols etc. to teach noobs. Also teams are more even in SH.

In a game of Bang! with some non-gaming friends, I was sherrif. Explained that the sherrif has to kill most of you, so sorry I'm going to start blazing. If you are teh deputy please don't shoot me back. I shot my deputy first, who then killed me by the second round, with the excuse, "Well you started shooting me!". Great, we both lose now, you happy? "Yes."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.