7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Civil War Board Game comparable to Third Reich rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Essidus Idus

Minnesota
msg tools
Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a suggestion for a board game that is fairly comparable to the style and gameplay of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, but built for the American Civil War. I'm having trouble finding anything that can even come close to the sheer complexity and scope of that game. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt that there is a game that copies the GAMEPLAY of third Reich, but I guess you are after a complex strategical simulation of the Civil War, in which case I would recommend:

The Civil War

It is a gem from the old days when war-games had to be massive.... It plays for quite a few hours and it is likely as close as you can get to third Reich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, as I was going to suggest with this: War between the States; since there isn't a DIRECT equivalent with exactly what you're looking for in comparisons, that I'm aware of or about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
I doubt that there is a game that copies the GAMEPLAY of third Reich, but I guess you are after a complex strategical simulation of the Civil War, in which case I would recommend:

The Civil War

It is a gem from the old days when war-games had to be massive.... It plays for quite a few hours and it is likely as close as you can get to third Reich.

Bit long though. You could give American Civil War 1861-1865 a try. Its more plyable but lacks the depth of the VG game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
For the People is an option... it has a large number of political elements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think VG's Civil War and For the People are excellent choices. One might also try The War for the Union
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
essidus wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm trying to find a suggestion for a board game that is fairly comparable to the style and gameplay of Rise and Decline of the Third Reich, but built for the American Civil War. I'm having trouble finding anything that can even come close to the sheer complexity and scope of that game. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it!

I have this game and once I opened it saw all the pieces and read some of the rules I put it back in the box. It is now sitting in my extra little bedroom. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.