Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Wiz-War noob review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jakob Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools

PREFACE
Due to the (presumably accidental?) early Scandinavian release of Wiz-War, I've had the game for a couple of weeks now and have been able to play a significant number of games, including trying all the different schools, playing two, three and four player games, with both rookies and veterans of the game.

I've never played the previous versions, so I can't compare it to earlier editions or fume over dropped rules or revised cards.

PRODUCTION
The production values are solid. The board looks fine and the included figures are cool - though for a casual hobbyist such as me, I'd wish they'd come prepainted, since that would add tons to the game.

The player figure with the "running stance" is somewhat vulnerable to bending and I fear that my version may have its legs snap of at some point. The transformed wizards are cool, but generally get very little play time. Transformations seem a little underpowered to my mind, but maybe that will change. I'd love it if the figures were used a little more.

The tokens are fine, though I'd actually prefer that it was written on them what they were - for a newbie they are pretty confusing.

The cards are well worded, with very little confusion over effects and limitations and the symbols work well - I'd prefer a different colour for "Counterspells", since I end up describing the current one as "purple-lillac"-ish (though in Danish).

All in all, the game looks cool, though it isn't the most impressive game you'll ever see.

GAMEPLAY
I won't go into details on how the game is played - RTFM or dig up any tutorial around this site for a brush up on that.

The game shines when you have four players in the right mindset. It should be played in a fairly aggresive "this spell may not help me much, but it sure does annoy you" way.

If you play with two players or a majority of the players are a little shy when it comes to conflict, the game can become a little stale. However, given a few plays, even the most timid player will generally get into the style and wackyness and start slinging spells left and right. Though the game is best with four players, it does work quite well with three players, as the portal setup makes everyone even. But more players = more chaos = more fun, so four is much recommended.

It's a very light game, full of hillarity and abrupt changes. It's random fun at it's core, with little predictability and strategy from one round to the next.

The current rules play very quickly, which I find a refreshing change from my usual fare of games. It's got the Junta-vibe, in the sense that it mixes rather well with alcohol, but without the long playtime. It also hits a sweet spot for me complexity-wise, since it's sturdy enough to keep me interested, but is digestable for my girlfriend and non-gamer friends.

I have yet to figure out if there any of the schools I like better, but I am leaning towards prefering the new boards over the old ones (that are on the reverse sides). The new lay out seems to open up a bit more and make everything play a little faster.

CONCLUSION
I am very happy with my purchase.

The game works great for a casual night with my gaming buddies, a quick game with my girlfriend or non gaming friends after dinner or as a filler before or after a longer and more complex game.

Playing this non-stop for a longer period would probably wear it out, but a couple of games here and there keeps it fresh - and there enough variation and options to keep every game a little different.

It's one the most fun (in the "I am laughing because something funny happened" kind of way") games I've played in a long time. I am very much looking forward to the inevitable expansion(s) - I'd love some summoned creatures and options for five or six players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Sørensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
A two player game is decent fun IMO, but it does lack a lot of the zany antics that you get with three or four people. It might become more of a cutthroat duel if both players become familiar with the decks and play strategically...

At any rate, try it out. Its well worth your money in my book even if you only get to play multiplayer rarely.

If you play it non-stop over a weekend, it will definitely feel samey at some point, but my feeling is that you'd come back to it again after a short break and rekindle the magic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game using the transformation deck, but we found it to be anything but underpowered. I think it's really th card combos that bring out the power, though.

For example, I transformed my wizard into the Big Man, and was holding a Mightstone. I cast Adrenaline on myself and then punched an enemy Wizard for 3 damage plus the 4 I luckily rolled on the die thanks to the Mightstone. Then I smiled and said, "Okay, so that's 7 damage. Now I'll punch you again." Game Over, man.

We also had a Werewolf with the help of it's naturally increased movement, an Energy card boosted movement of 6 and Windwalker cross the entire board in one turn and steal a treasure, and then use it's next turn to get all the way back to it's home square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the Werewolf cast Windrider since the Werewolf can only cast counterspells? It COULD work once - if you stopped maintaining the mutation spell, reverted back to wizard form then cast Windrider... but then movement bonus of the Werewolf is lost... Or maybe I just read your post incorrectly...

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.