Subject: High school "strategy" club recs needed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerred Z

Omaha
Nebraska
msg tools
mb
Hey, everyone! I'm new to the board game scene, but a few students of mine (I teach high school journalism) wanted to get a club going. I was going to personally buy two board games... And i'm wondering what would be some good recommendations for some cool games that are easy to learn and can be played and finished in two hours with multiple players (4-6?).

We already have Summoner War Master Set, Game of Thrones LCG, Warhammer: Invasion, Blood Bowl Team Manager, and I'm sure the kids will bring Magic cards...

Is Risk 2042 too long for a 2-hour club? What else should I look for?

Thanks, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
7 Wonders and Race for the Galaxy sound like a good start. Oh, and my students LOVE LOVE LOVE Blood Bowl Team Manager. After a day of high school stress sometime they just need to punch an elf in the face, and so do I.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerred Z

Omaha
Nebraska
msg tools
mb
Dan - Awesome! "after a day of high school stress, sometimes they just need to punch an elf in the face." That's going to be our club motto, I think!

I will definitely check both games out at our local game store! Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
And one other idea: Ascension. Fast play, works well with multiple players, and the M:TG kids might enjoy a new type of deck-building. There is some slightly questionable artwork (some of the Lifebound heroes have some really nice morally corrupting side-boob showing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion would be an excellent choice, especially with the Prosperity expansion. It has a lot of great card mechanics that play off of each other.

I would also recommend Race for the Galaxy as it is a top-quality game in general.

I don't know if they shortened Risk 2042, but they would have to to fit it in a 2-hour time slot. I would assume it is as long as other Risk editions and just a bit less boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerred Z

Omaha
Nebraska
msg tools
mb
Awesome, people. Thanks for the help. I think i'll go with Race for the Galaxy and either Dominion or Ascension (whichever is cheaper 'cause it all comes out of my pocket).

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blank Francis
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to branch away from card games, try Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game or Small World for fast-playing but fun conflict-style games. A Risk variant like Risk: Halo Wars Collector's Edition or Risk 2210 A.D. could work, too, although they tend to run longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.