Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up ATOE and the expansion on a quasi-whim yesterday. It was on my mind for a bit, a first mainly as a joke because of the vampire who looks as if he smelled something terrible on the cover.

I kind of avoided it as I am a huge Arkham Horror fan, and I didn't want another game like it(I heard it was Arkham-like). I also own LNoE, and have a love/hate relationship with that game, and was afraid this would be the same.

At any rate, my girlfriend and myself sat down last night and played the basic game. As we went through the rules, a lot of it was "Oh yeah, this is just like Arkham Horror." We played 2 characters each, and it took us a full turn to get the rules down pretty solid.(only had to consult the rules a couple of times for clarifications) We decided to battle the Vampire that noticed that someone in the room farted.

I must say, I really enjoyed this game(even though I lost)! It definitely has some similarities to Arkham Horror, but thankfully it wasn't a "clone" like I was told it was. I am looking forward to trying the advanced game and finally, playing with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the game vastly superior with the first big-box expansion's inclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Farrell Seymore
United States
Opelika
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed your thoughts on the game. I haven't played AH yet, but I have about 20 plays of AToE at this point and I don't have the expansion yet. I have enjoyed it tremendously. It is like a different story each time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't play Arkham Horror any more because of this game. It's so much quicker to set up and easier to handle, plus the components are top notch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Zebro
United States
Nazareth
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy this game. Easier to teach than Arkham and alot less rule exceptions/additions to remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
The game is good depending on which "villain" you're using. The one that spawns zombies is boring, also the one that is linked to werewolves had me yawning. The one villain I enjoyed was the horseman.

This game needs to be refined before it can compare to a good game of Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I enjoy this game quite a bit. Haven't tried the expansion, but we got another game in last night of the base game.

One thing I really enjoyed about the game was the Town Elder aspect. I ended up getting betrayed by the only Elder I didn't investigate, as I was making a power play for the Vampire.

I noticed my Cthulhu statue was eyeing me yesterday when we were playing...I had to reassure it that I wasn't going to leave it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rikowal wrote:
Yeah, I enjoy this game quite a bit. Haven't tried the expansion, but we got another game in last night of the base game.

One thing I really enjoyed about the game was the Town Elder aspect. I ended up getting betrayed by the only Elder I didn't investigate, as I was making a power play for the Vampire.

I noticed my Cthulhu statue was eyeing me yesterday when we were playing...I had to reassure it that I wasn't going to leave it.

Cthulhu may be ftagn, but he knows what you're up to and he doesn't take betrayal lightly. You have been warned. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White Knight wrote:
rikowal wrote:

Cthulhu may be ftagn, but he knows what you're up to and he doesn't take betrayal lightly. You have been warned. goo

If you get the Something Wicked expansion you can fight Cthulhu in ATOE. He's just called something else unspeakably daft instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
White Knight wrote:
rikowal wrote:

If you get the Something Wicked expansion you can fight Cthulhu in ATOE. He's just called something else unspeakably daft instead.

Yes, yes, his minions are everywhere. You cannot escape his wrath!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
rikowal wrote:

To be honest, the "Elders" in the game are a largely useless addition. Most of the time (when we played AToE) we did not even notice the "town elders" were there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Kowal
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose they could be, but in the game I mentioned, that extra wound they provided the villain was enough to hold me back. I guess we were putting an emphasis on the elders since it was a "new" mechanic for us(like I said above, we came to this from playing Arkham Horror).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Swalwell
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer in All Mediums
mbmbmbmbmb
PrimordialOne wrote:
rikowal wrote:

To be honest, the "Elders" in the game are a largely useless addition. Most of the time (when we played AToE) we did not even notice the "town elders" were there.

I don't know - if you play competitively a lot the game becomes a very, very tight race: the elders can be just enough to make fighting the villain possible, or completely screw you over if you go in assuming you'll get their bonus and instead have them turn on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nunya Business
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Someone just bought me this game today. So maybe my opinions will change now that I have my own private copy (and thus can play more often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.