Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Colaneri
Italy
Torino
Torino
flag msg tools
www.balenaludens.it
badge
Visit us! http://www.balenaludens.it Reviews, articles, GAMES!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that using 2 or more big expansions lowers the "number of players". This should be taken into account when resolving rumors too?
Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
CptWasp wrote:
I know that using 2 or more big expansions lowers the "number of players". This should be taken into account when resolving rumors too?
Thank you

I'd say yes, that's how I play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
CptWasp wrote:
Thank you

Correct. Only in the Final battle does it not count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
CptWasp wrote:
Thank you

Also not for the minimum number of gate trophies needed to be owned for a victory by closing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jack21222 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
CptWasp wrote:
Thank you

Also not for the minimum number of gate trophies needed to be owned for a victory by closing.

I am not sure about this. Rules definitely don't mention it one way or the other. We only got the clarification for the Final battle as far as I remember.

But since the number of gates that can be open is based on the lesser amounts of players, I would say this win condition might be also.

The purpose of the change is to make it easier since you have more ground to cover. The final battle doesn't need a handicap because at that point, the amount of ground to cover is removed from the game. Closing gates is a function of how much ground you have to cover.

So without an official ruling, I would lean the opposite of this statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jack21222 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
CptWasp wrote:
Thank you

I am not sure about this. Rules definitely don't mention it one way or the other. We only got the clarification for the Final battle as far as I remember.

But since the number of gates that can be open is based on the lesser amounts of players, I would say this win condition might be also.

The purpose of the change is to make it easier since you have more ground to cover. The final battle doesn't need a handicap because at that point, the amount of ground to cover is removed from the game. Closing gates is a function of how much ground you have to cover.

So without an official ruling, I would lean the opposite of this statement.

So in a 3 player game, if one gate opens up, no new ones open in the next two turns, and you close it, you win? That doesn't sound right at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jack21222 wrote:
So in a 3 player game, if one gate opens up, no new ones open in the next two turns, and you close it, you win? That doesn't sound right at all.

Of course not, because you forgot the gate open at the beginning of the game as well. So there are two gates to close and it typically takes you 3 turns to get through at a bare minimum.

The chances that you get both gates closed with no new ones popping open is extremely rare. This win condition isn't something you plan for and it takes an extreme amount of luck to pull it off.

So if you are that lucky to get everything aligned, I'd call it a win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has not been publicly clarified that the gate-trophies-to-win is exempt from reduction, but that is the way I'd play it because of what jack said. If a reasonably small team gets a little lucky, the game could be over far too early.

The requirement to have X trophies on hand in order to win by closing all gates is in place so that a large group of investigators can't just spam open gates and have one of them get home early and close it. Using multiple boards does not make this less of a concern, in the same way that final combat isn't made so much harder by using multiple boards that you would need the handicap when removing doom tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack M
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
jack21222 wrote:

Of course not, because you forgot the gate open at the beginning of the game as well. So there are two gates to close and it typically takes you 3 turns to get through at a bare minimum.

The chances that you get both gates closed with no new ones popping open is extremely rare. This win condition isn't something you plan for and it takes an extreme amount of luck to pull it off.

So if you are that lucky to get everything aligned, I'd call it a win.

I forgot no gate.

Gate opens up to begin the game.

Turn 1: Investigator enters the gate. Mythos: No gate opens, 2 doom tokens are added
Turn 2: Cast Find Gate, close.

Tadaa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I think your argument is valid but I would consider this a house rule not an official rule. The rulebooks never state this exception, and like Brian says, only the Final Battle exceptions was specifically clarified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jack21222 wrote:
I forgot no gate.

Gate opens up to begin the game.

Turn 1: Investigator enters the gate. Mythos: No gate opens, 2 doom tokens are added
Turn 2: Cast Find Gate, close.

Tadaa.

1) The same argument exists in a 1-player game and this scenario is 100% legal.

2) Again, you are assuming an investigator is within reach of the one gate that opens. You are assuming the monster that is spawned on that gate is easy to beat or get past. You are assuming that the 2nd card is a no gate (which is less than a 5% chance of getting). You are also assuming the one investigator to reach the gate has a Find Gate Spell. You are also assuming that the one OW encounter does not delay, send you to LiTaS or anything else to trip you up. You are also assuming that you successfully close the gate with one roll. [And if you think assuming any of these actually happen when you need it to, let alone all of them, I would question that you have even played the game of Arkham or you would know that Arkham cares not for statistics and will screw you every time it can). So while possible that you can have the perfect decks to make this happen, it is still extremely unlikely. You can set up the perfect deck for any number of players. So while you have 1 Find Gate, why not have 3 of them. And let the fist 3 cards be gate openers as that is more likely anyway.

3) The main point you seem not to recognize: We have no official clarification that this was what they want. So with the RAW, this is the way to play: count it as 1 investigator, even for this win condition.

So until you can get an answer from FFG - or show me where one has been posted already that this win condition is exempt, how about "ta-don't" instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't like to talk about 1-investigator games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.