5 Posts

No Retreat! The Russian Front» Forums » Variants

Subject: Advancing/Retreating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brother Leon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have finally managed to find some time to play this wonderful game. I have a 3 Month old son and have found my gaming time reduced to nil prior to and since he was born. I have always kept a watch on the developments of this game, including the rule changes to give the soviet player a leg up. I have read and re-read the rules on numerous occassions!

There are two changes I am thinking of introducing that I consider thematically correct, but bearing in mind I have only played this game once and that was the barbarossa scenario, I would like some experienced player comments on these proposed changes:

1) [10.7.5] Retreats. A unit when retreating may retreat only one hex into a city if under the players control.

2) [10.8] Advance After Combat. When a unit crosses a river while advancing after combat must stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Taylor
United States
under surveillance
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

the forum heading of this thread should be changed to "Variants."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zero_the_hero wrote:

1) [10.7.5] Retreats. A unit when retreating may retreat only one hex into a city if under the players control.

2) [10.8] Advance After Combat. When a unit crosses a river while advancing after combat must stop.

yes, interesting suggestions. In fact when I designed the game these two are some of the questions I asked myself! cool

BUT, do remember the scale of the game: 100km per hex, and most turns are two-month! So the effect of the rivers will be minimal at that scale, this is why they have no movement point cost for crossing, too. And when offensives were declared across most of those rivers, either the attacker had already established good bridgeheads when the offensive was started, or it was an "end-run" Blitz advance and many bridges were captured intact.

Same thing for the cities: In a 100km across hex, the cities will cover only a minimal amount of space, and WILL NOT stop a determined advance, or help a defender!

You rules will make it almost MORE attractive to defend in front of such obstacles than in(cities)/behind(rivers) them! I know that if I were the Soviet I would most certainly do so!

But do note that those cities that were able to offer heavy resistance (objectives hexes like Stalingrad, Leningrad, Sevastopol, Moscow) an attacker must STOP when entering those hexes. For these you do have a point about the retreating unit stopping right there, but if you look at the map, all these cities but Stalingrad are almost surrounded by Advance-stopping terrain anyway. So for the sake of simplicity I decided not to add such a rule, as the effect would be really too small to be worth it.

But I have no problem with your city rule, IF you want to use it only for Objective cities. I DO have a problem with your River crossing rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brother Leon
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the detailed reply Carl. I didn't consider the scale, I suppose the river crossing is inbred into me from years of games using this as a standard penalty!
I will go with your suggestions. Again thanks for a system that is a pleasure to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.