Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahoy, fellows and lady fellows!

I, like many BGGers I note, find that games of Wiz-War are more fun using some of the original rules provided as a "variant" in this edition of Wiz-War (particularly the combined deck). Now, this is not to say that many of the changes are bad, c.f. victory conditions, but the big deck seems to be a big plus!

Could some of you old salts (and lady salts) weigh in a little, here? I want to just throw the black cantrips in with the rest . . . thinking that the cantrip spells are not bad in duplication over the new size of the huge deck. Dispells and things.

Am I crazy?

I mean, in trying to keep the balance of cantrips in the big deck?

Put in your sass when answering, please!

In Wizardry,

KJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Black cantrips weren't in old Wiz-War. There are certain fundamental cards you want to see in whatever deck you are using, and in one of the variants there are two teams of players which use two different decks. Each requires a set of the "fundamental cards" so one takes the white cantrips and the other team takes the black cantrips. If everyone is using a single giant deck, there is no need to duplicate the cantrips in separate decks, so you don't use one set of the cantrips. That being said, there's really no such thing as "balance" in the deck when everyone has access to the same cards, and if you want to put all the black and white cantrips in the deck, go for it. You'll just have a preponderance of certain spells as you play, such as Create and Destroy Walls, and an extra Large Rock, etc.

As you might notice, there's also nothing "white" or "black" about the cantrips, it's just a way to designate the separation of the schools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks, Tom!

I do fully understand the reason for the two decks (for the variant); my question is more a question of how the new FFG, which is designed to be used with only PART of the cards, interlaces with the cantrips.

The cantrips are clearly supposed to be weighted with just a few of the schools of magic. By DOUBLING the number of schools in play, ought I DOUBLE the "basic cards" (cantrips) that go along with them?

Experts (and there is no expert more expert than you, Mr. Jolly!) would have a better sense if there "should" be more Destroy Walls and Large Rocks in the combined deck (or, rather, just throwing all schools together would create a poverty of "destroy walls" WITHOUT putting in the black cantrips).

If using the variant, say, with the two separate decks, there will be both the black and the white cantrips floating around (the same number as if you put all the cards together) . . . .

I mean, at the end of the day, I'm sure it will be "Magical Mayhem" no matter what you do.

It's a HOOT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try it and see how it works (and let us know )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ya'itz Yer'moov
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
All That We See Or Seem
badge
Is But A Dream Within A Dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
Ahoy, fellows and lady fellows!

Put in your sass when answering, please!

Cavetroll wrote:
Hi. Black cantrips weren't in old Wiz-War. There are certain fundamental cards you want to see in whatever deck you are using, and in one of the variants there are two teams of players which use two different decks. Each requires a set of the "fundamental cards" so one takes the white cantrips and the other team takes the black cantrips. If everyone is using a single giant deck, there is no need to duplicate the cantrips in separate decks, so you don't use one set of the cantrips. That being said, there's really no such thing as "balance" in the deck when everyone has access to the same cards, and if you want to put all the black and white cantrips in the deck, go for it. You'll just have a preponderance of certain spells as you play, such as Create and Destroy Walls, and an extra Large Rock, etc.

As you might notice, there's also nothing "white" or "black" about the cantrips, it's just a way to designate the separation of the schools.

shake
I would've expected more SASS from the brilliant game designer of all people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Daneman
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combine all the cards together and you'll be fine (although I agree that there's no reason to duplicate cantrips, so just use one deck of those). We've been playing with a 500 card deck for a number of years and see no problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jolly
United States
Santa Maria
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone else pointed out somewhere, having the black cantrips in a megadeck will, in fact, dilute the balance of attack spells in the deck, thus making the deck a bit less confrontational. Just something to consider when making the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anson Bischoff
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are certainly completely right in thinking that doubling the amount of schools and adding the black cantrips equals out to a deck as balanced as having a single cantrip deck with the recommended number of schools. You end up with 1/5 cantrip cards either way. If you want to mix them in, I say go for it. It's not going to make much difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dhiraj Pallin
Australia
Taringa
QLD
flag msg tools
Yes sorry Tom, but your reply doesn't make much sense to me in the context of the question... The Giant deck with Black Cantrip will not be more diluted compared to the 3 schools deck, and that's really what the person is asking.

I guess it depends if your intention for including all decks IS to increase the ratio of attack spells then this makes sense. But I have a feeling, for the majority of people, their reason for using the Giant deck is to increase diversity and to avoid sorting cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
It just puts a lot of Create and Destroy Wall spells in that deck, as well as a second SIX.

It's not going to be game-breaking, but you might notice it when someone cuts a hallway all the way across a board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.