Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just purchased this game which is the first Avalanche Press game I have.
The mailing carton was light as feather. The enclosed box was quite small and contained a half sheet of counter. Several of these counters delaminated during punching.

The rule book and scenario book are printed as cheaply as possible. Only one copy of consumable log sheets and ship sheets was supplied. I downloaded and printed on card stock the various status markers on the publisher's website as well as the Tactical Sequence of Play. The game tables are printed on two sides of the last page of the rulebook. I copied these onto card stock.

The included dice are rivaled only by Victory Point games for uselessness.

My game collection is not large, but these components easily win the prize for worst production. Even Hornet Leader II which I downloaded as a PDF and constructed myself has immensely better parts.

I have read the rulebook. Nowhere is it stated what is the object of the game and not a single illustrated example is given. I tried to set up the first scenario. Not enough counters to match the number of ships in the scenario. I guess I can keep track of them on the ship log, but why not just play Battleship on homemade paper grids and drawings of ships.

In short, unless I am missing something big,this game was a complete waste -money spent on purchase and shipping as well as time paper and ink printing components that should have been included.

I will be happy to be shown where I have erred in my evaluation. Any input appreciated.
Are other AP games this sad ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you didn't have enough ships to set up the scenario, you've probably missed the fact that Destroyer counters can represent multiple ships.

Other than that... well, I value the game more than the bling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally, I value the game more than the bling as well and am always amused when people complain about "poor" components in games that I think are great.
However, this sets a new standard of poor. The components in my original RAF game which are old and faded are of better quality.

So, tell me about the game. How does it play ? I cannot figure out what the object of the game is. I really would appreciate some input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's a naval combat game - the point is to sink, disable or damage the enemy. There are two scales - Operational (fleets moving around until they encounter one another), and tactical (ships blowing the hell out of one another once they do encounter one another.

The Operational game is the heart of the matter - the tactical rules are fast, but lack detail compared to most miniatures games, and the likes of harpoon. The Operational game is best played by both players writing out orders for movement on the map, then moving the fleet counters until they come within sight of one another. It's not an easy system to solo play, therefore, but the tactical system can be fun.

The basic resolution system is what's known as 'buckets of dice' - by people with very small buckets. You roll a half dozen or so dice, depending on the firepower of your ship (Primary, Secondary or Tertiary, plus torpedoes), and hit on a six. Some paperwork is involved, and you'll have to prepare sheets to record hits. I think there are downloadable sheets, there are for most of the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Lury
United States
Blowing rock
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for the reply. Is it really that simple ?

This was not my first foray into nautical battle.I did buy Serpents of the Sea which I traded away as it was too repetitive and boring.I traded someone for Carrier which I learned and admired the brilliance of the mechanics, but found to be tedious.I spent months playing Silent War. Maybe I should stick with Whistling Death and tactical infantry like Fields of Fire and D-Day Omaha Beach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Kidwell
United States
St. Louis area
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is, there are more detailed game systems like Fear God and Dread Nought, Command at sea both by CLash of Arms, but GWAS and SWWAS are are easy to learn and play. I enjoy both of them because they have enough detail to make them interesting and yet even with my limited brain power I can understand them. I do not have Crossroads, so I can't give any specifics on that particular game. I hope once you play it you will not be sorry you bought it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Crossroads is a starter game: I don't know where you bought it from, but the AP website does state that the product is an introductory game in the GWAS series, so there aren't many counters or scenarios. I will agree with you on the dice, they are pretty poor and one or two aren't much help when you need seven to resolve a single ship's gunnery. However, if you visit the AP website, you can download and print blank log sheets without charge. I had no problems with my counters - in fact I own 8 AP boxed games and have only experienced delamination once or twice in several thousand counters.

AP games are less blingy than GMT or L'n'L. The emphasis is on good scenarios and plenty of them in the "full" games, rather than shiny pieces and glossy colour rulebooks. Personally, I find the rule/scenario book quality fine - I'm only using them to set up, calculate VPs and for gunnery tables. The rest I have committed to memory as I've learnt the system. Reading the rulebook cover-to-cover will make it clear to you that there are two scales in the game, and how they interact. This is the aspect of GWAS/SWWAS that makes the stand out from anything else I've ever played, and IMHO once this is grasped the rest of game is pretty simple. Just make sure your bucket of dice is ready...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nemo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have said, PC is an intro game, for you to learn the system and get used to the mechanics before diving into some of the bigger games. The bits aren't as blingy as some of the other games mentioned; It's gameplay that matters, and GWAS is a series that brings that in spades. You really feel like an operational commander at the higher strategic scale, and while the tactical scale isn't as advanced as some would like, It's just detailed enough to work with what you have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Fox
United States
Scottsbluff
Nebraska
flag msg tools
i think the game is pretty good. i have only done solo because of shortage of local players. it is a great intro simple and fast. I have Coral Sea on the way and can't wait to check out air power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.