Greece
Kalamata
Messinia
flag msg tools
badge
Knowledge = Power
mbmbmbmbmb
For example:

Card "Melta Bomb", equipment card of Imperial Fists: "Any one of your Marine miniatures may roll two extra heavy ....."

Card "By Sections", order card: "Each of your Marine miniatures may EITHER move..."

Do Marine miniatures include the Commander miniature, too?

There are cards that specify to use Marines and not the Commander, such us "Booby Trap": "A Marine steps onto a defense charge. Pick any one Marine miniature, not a Commander, and make..."

..or cards that specify to use only the Commander, such as "Bionic Eye", equipment card of Imperial Fists: "Your Commander miniature may re-roll..."

What is your opinion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilleas Karanikas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been discussed again...:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/544462/orders

Bottom line is, some play it one way, some play it the other way.

I prefer to mark the exact words of the card, and apply the "marine miniatures" cards only to the four simple marines, not the commander miniature. I find it more balanced this way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achilleas Karanikas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Macedonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheToaster wrote:
The "...Pick any one Marine miniature, not a Commander,..." card itself seems to infer then that cards with just "Any one of your Marine miniatures..." will include the commander.
But it's just a game so play it the way you get the most fun out of it.

What about the rulebook in page 9 which says: "If a marine or commander miniature moves onto a square..."
Doesn't that infer a clear distinction between the two types of miniatures?

There are many pages or cards that say "marine or commander miniature" and only one "marine, not commander miniature". I believe in both cases there is a clear distinction. This gives the marines squad a balancing boost in comparison with the commander miniature.

I agree though that if someone wants, may play it the other way if he finds it more fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mb
The french translation is "marine" for everything.
So you can consider one marine is a heavy or light, or extra heavy or a commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjaymun Benjaymun
msg tools
To go back to the source, there is no good reason for a commander being unable to take a meltabomb. In fact, they're more likely to have such wargear than normal marines.

Given also that the english use of the term "marine" definitely includes the commander as a marine, I don't think they'd intentionally leave room for such ambiguity unless none was intended, and the game designer meant the term to include the commander except when explicitly said otherwise.

So I suppose that's a vote for "commander is a marine, but not all marines are commanders" from me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas W
Belgium
flag msg tools
this is THE most important question for me too, because i feel if you say yes, the commander is overpowered, if you say no, your squad and marine are underpowered. I find it difficult to make a choice in the matter, so i was wondering if someone found a good balance. FE commander can also move when playing a command card, but doesn't get the benefit of an equipment card etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasileios Drakakis
Greece
flag msg tools
There seem to be many points of ambiguity in this game and the above is a vital one to the game balance. I would say that, despite the Commander being the arch-Marine, for the rules sake there is a clear distinction between the terms "marine" and "commander" and I will try to prove it using the text of the cards.
In the order cards and the Melta Bomb the text goes "Each/Any of your Marine miniatures". However the Blind Grenades card goes "Any of your minitiatures". Moreover, from the event deck, the Auto Defence and Genestealer cards state "any Marine OR Commander miniature". I think it is pretty obvious that when a card applies to all of the Marines, Commander included, the text "any miniature/Marine or Commander" are used, whereas a card applied to the marines only uses the text "Marine miniatures". The only cards that could support the opposite side of the argument are the Lure of Chaos and Booby Trap, which specify "one Marine miniature, NOT a Commander". Even in these cards I believe that the phrase "NOT a Commander" is used for emphasis to prevent a misunderstanding and not to imply that a Commander is considered part of the Marine miniatures.
But, then again, it is only a game and anyone could apply the rules at will. This is just my interpretation of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GEORGE PARASKEVOPOULOS
Greece
ATHENS
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rulebook pg5: “Having chosen their weapons the Marine players should place their Commander miniature and four Marine miniatures on their Docking board, ready to assault the alien ship”

He didn’t say “their five Marine miniatures” because it’s two different things.

Melta Bomb card makes any of your Marine miniatures to roll two extra red dices, which make him like a Commander with 2 white+2 red attack (sword+fist) for one turn. If your commander (with sword+fist) could use this, he could hit with 2 white+4 red attacks! He could do 16 damage in one roll... Impossible... So, for me is clear a Commander is Marine but a Commander miniature is not a Marine miniature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.