Hide
6 Posts

High Frontier» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are these tactics legit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Boris Specado
msg tools
So, I have two questions about some of the expansion rules, the first one is largely a mechanics question, the second one I'm pretty sure is 'correct' but feels as though it may be abuse of the system.

Tactic 1:

Lets say you have a very low thrust rocket trying leave earth past the radiation belt, but it also has a high thrust low efficiency engine like a crew module. Is it permissible to enter the first burn with your efficient engine, wait a turn, enter the radiation with the other thruster, wait again, then continue on with the efficient thruster? The strange thing about this one is it seems almost impossible to do certain things like get radiators off earth without this tactic. However it seems weird that this practice makes very little real life sense that I can see, and also means I almost never roll for going through belts (automatic success due to high thrust).

Tactic 2:

Lets say you have a solar sail (or really any efficient thruster) and as is often the case you don't have another urgent need for your rocket stack. There is a pretty cheesy tactical advantage to be gained for very little by deliberately entering triangle burns for no reason other than triggering elections, causing flares, space debris or even moving a comet out of the way before someone gets there. I don't see how this could be illegal as the rules are written, but would you try to somehow ban it in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Yes, this is allowed as long as you are using a single thruster for the entire turn, which it sounds like you are. There's another tactic where you do the same thing, but use the high thrust to make it easy to land on higher gravity sites. I think the scientific rationale is because of the amount of thrust (acceleration) you have, you are not subject to the same levels of radiation.

2. I would not ban this because while you might get lucky and have it work out for you in a few games, this is largely a game of optimization and in most cases using your limited number of moves for this purpose is less than optimal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both are legal. #2 has bothered me a little. It is certainly a waste of a move, but there are a lot of turns in which you aren't making a move because you are in a downtime between missions. And if you have a solar sail to spare at the time, you certainly could have it coasting around out somewhere between earth and mars just triggering die rolls at zero cost to you.

Of course, in my games, I am the only one who has thought of this, and I would never do it because it is just too cheesy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joshaubry wrote:
1. Yes, this is allowed as long as you are using a single thruster for the entire turn, which it sounds like you are. There's another tactic where you do the same thing, but use the high thrust to make it easy to land on higher gravity sites. I think the scientific rationale is because of the amount of thrust (acceleration) you have, you are not subject to the same levels of radiation.

I thought you could only end your move on a burn, an intersection, or a landing site. This tactic requires stopping on the radiation check, or the segment between the radiation check and the next burn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chamberlain
United States
Tracy
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any circle space on the map is considered an intersection, even if it only has two lines emanating from it. that include radiation spots, hazard spots, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I think when the map was originally designed there were no radiation spaces per se, just a radiation "belt". You made a hazard roll when your rocket moved from one space to another and the route took it through a radiation belt.

My guess is that this change was made precisely to allow you to stop on a radiation belt after making your hazard roll, so you can turn off your chemical engines and engage your electric thruster for the next turn.

Conceptually, I would assume the use of the high thrust engine is only for a few minutes at the end of turn 1, whereas the low thrust engine burns for much longer on turn 2. The fact they are on different turns is just to avoid complicated maths (like "what's my thrust if I burn my chemical engine for a 6th of the turn and my electric engine for 5/6th of the turn").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.