Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Buckley
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all! I'm wondering if there is a game out there that fits my needs? I'm looking for a train/railroad game that is great for only two players but also can be played solo (and yet is still fun?). I grew up playing computer games like Railroad Tycoon, Microsoft's Train Simulator, and Sid Meier's Railroads!, but I've never played a board game version of a train game. I want to pick one up but don't even know where to begin; there are a LOT of train games out there it seems, and while there seem to be a few that have maps created for solo play, it doesn't look like the game had that intent in mind originally, so I'm not sure if they're any fun.

Anyway, you guys and gals are always great at recommending games to others so I'm hoping I might find some help here! Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it myself, but the standard recommendation is Silverton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm also a huge fan of Railroad Tycoon and Railroads! for PC.

I haven't tried it, but I will probably get Circus Train (First Edition) and it's expansion Circus Train Expansion Kit. It's supposed to support solitaire very well. I believe there's a deluxe version of it due out soon from GMT games, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Milan
MI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bindle Rails
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a solitaire variant for Empire Builder in the rulebook. You could play any crayon rail game solitaire as well. I have played that way quite a few times, but not for the past three years or so. Essentially you have a limited number of turns where you're trying to make a targeted amount of money.

If you're looking for the pick up and deliver feel in your train game, this works very well. If you're looking for the business side of things (stocks, etc.), it's not what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john guthrie
United States
silver spring
maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Open Rails Origins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brenden Johnson
United States
Lakeville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I haven't played it myself, but the standard recommendation is Silverton.
This is what I was going to suggest. I find it quite fun.
Jeremiah_Lee wrote:
This is pretty fun as well. I like Silverton more.
grafpoo wrote:
I have this one but haven't tried it yet. It looks pretty neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.