Subject: Geeklist how-to (old) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know there has to be a good link for this around here somewhere, but I'm just not finding it.

I'm ready to make a geeklist, I see the geeklists -> create new; but I don't see a description of what the options mean, and how to choose them right (or if I can change them latter).

Edit: Recently a good guide has appeared, go here: How To: Create and configure a Geeklist (with screen shots)

Thanks to all who provided answers and brought my attention to this new guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Geeklist how-to
You can change most of them later via 'edit header'
I can't find a killer walkthrough but feel free to ask any questions.

Subscribe?: Tick this to be alerted if folk post on it.
Domains?: What sort of items can folk add eg boardgames/game consoles etc.

Private?: If you want to be the only one to see it.
Public Additions?: If you want others to contribute items - they can still comment.

Comments?: Select this to allow user comments on this list.
Trade/Auction List?: Select if your list involves trading, selling, auctioning.

No Publish?: Select this if you don't want the list published to the front page of the site.
Enable Public Dice Rolls?: Select this if you want to let people role dice on your geeklist (only handy for RPG/draws)

Special Sort: How do you want Items to be sorted: Normal = as you position them. The rest as self-explanatory.

Save and go to step two: Step two lets you add items. You can return to step one, even after posting via pressing 'edit header'.

This may be helpful:
New Users want to know Who? What? Where? When? and Why? but mostly How?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That link didn't work the well (tried it before I asked the question).

But your edits have definitely helped.

--
edit:

If I start the list as Private & No Publish, if I switch them later will I get the results I want or will lose the chance of being front page when I'm ready to release?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I presume that 'recent' is based on when it was submitted, not whether it whether it was submitted as private or public.

Thus you would not get on the front page under recent.

This said if your geeklist catches it can still make it under 'hot' or 'active'.

It's your choice - recent only gives you the front page for 6 hours max, in my experience so its not that big a deal. Staggering your items and comments is a better strategy ninja

Put the link up here, when its up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Put the link up here, when its up

If you insist...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/122468/better-than-her...

It's not fully ready, but I'll be away from my systems for a few hours and didn't get what was done lost in the aether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing you can do is just try it out. If you are concerned that you might make some mistakes, make the list private until you have fixed it up. Then you you can change it to let us all see it when you are happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions about creating Geeklists.

1) is it possible to create a list that is private except for people you invite to use it (maybe it has to be combined with a guild?)

2) Does a list have to be submitted, and what does the submitt area mean?

3) How can I create sublists, for example a list of publishers, with a sublist of games for each publisher?

Thanks.

Edit: added third question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of answers to your questions but I am not that hot on Geeklists.

Quote:
1) is it possible to create a list that is private except for people you invite to use it (maybe it has to be combined with a guild?)

Ish select: 'No Publish?' - this means it will not show up on the front page and thus should not get any traffic. You then pass the link to others who can use it to navigate to the page.

Quote:
2) Does a list have to be submitted, and what does the submitt area mean?

Yes a list must be submitted to be viewable to others. I don't know what you mean by submit area? What are the options - Do you mean domains?

Quote:
3) How can I create sublists, for example a list of publishers, with a sublist of games for each publisher?

Um You could set up a link to such information. Or simply use the first comment to offer to such info. (not sure I quite understand what you are asking)

As an aside check out: Every-Gamer BGG Guides.

Oh and: No Geek Left Behind... (How to get an Avatar)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply.

1) I only want input from people to whom I request add input. Am I within my rights to delete submissions and comments from the list, that I do not deem relevant?

2) On "Page 2" when you create a geeklist, the options are: Add New Item | View List | Submit List
It then states in red "This list has not been submitted". My question basically is what does the Submit list do? Why, and to whom do I need to submit it?

3) I mean like the geeklist here (Spiel 2012 Preview), where the games are the items listed, but are presented as a subgroup of the publisher. This is what I want to recreate in my geeklist.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
I have a couple of answers to your questions but I am not that hot on Geeklists.

Quote:

Ish select: 'No Publish?' - this means it will not show up on the front page and thus should not get any traffic. You then pass the link to others who can use it to navigate to the page.

Note that while it doesn't appear on the front page, it will show up in subscriptions, so potentially a lot of people will see it if it includes a lot of popular games. The only way to stop people from viewing the list is to make it private, which would also stop those who you want to see it from viewing.

I've just been playing about a bit and it seems that if you don't submit the list it won't appear on the front page and apparently not in subscriptions, but you can pass a link to other people who will then be able to see it and add items and comments, provided that the list is not private.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) I only want input from people to whom I request add input. Am I within my rights to delete submissions and comments from the list, that I do not deem relevant?

Provided you make this clear in the header - yes. Deleting their posts may require admin help. Again with a post the does not go on the front page it is highly unlikely that anyone will find it - without the url.

Quote:
2) On "Page 2" when you create a geeklist, the options are: Add New Item | View List | Submit List
It then states in red "This list has not been submitted". My question basically is what does the Submit list do? Why, and to whom do I need to submit it?

Oh I see this means submit it to the server to be published. Until you submit it it is a draft that only you can see and add to.
See above.

Quote:
3) I mean like the geeklist here (Spiel 2012 Preview), where the games are the items listed, but are presented as a subgroup of the publisher. This is what I want to recreate in my geeklist.

Oh I see.... I don't honestly know how to do that.... hmmmmm - I'll have a wee look for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Quote:

Oh I see.... I don't honestly know how to do that.... hmmmmm - I'll have a wee look for you.

I think this may be an admin only feature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup I think Dave is right; as always.

You can still do something similar to this.

Simple add a publisher using the change colour forground to create dividers and place the games under it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Lees
Denmark
Billund
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

You can still do something similar to this.

Simple add a publisher using the change colour forground to create dividers and place the games under it.

The Change colour forground? #raisesoneeyebrow

Excusemehow?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um I can't quite get it to look right(least not in 5mins) but play around with it. Sorry when I recommended this I thought it was more user friendly - I'd look at option two but here you go:

The colour text system
and colour background

They are on your formatting toolbar - when writing a thread/reply out of a geeklist.
(Geeklist does not offer all the formatting options/help for some reason but will accept it if you copy paste in the codes.)

If you want a block of colour you need to do some jiggery-pokery:

You could also use an image instead (this is probably easier and may well look better:

or your own:

Really you're just looking for a uniform layout of dividers that also inform the reader about the company about what each section is about.

Quote to see the code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
How does someone add their own custom item to a Geeklist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite sure what you mean.

Users can add 'items' to lists via navigating to the header at the top of the page and selecting 'add item' from the available choices.
It's possible to switch off other user items, so if you can't see 'add item' the author of the geeklist has switched it off.

If this doesn't answer your question can you provide an example of a 'custom item'?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
For instance, what if I wanted to do an auction for some of my board games, but also wanted to include some podcasting equipment in the auction? Can you make a geeklist item with the title "Podcasting Equipment"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah.

Actually there is a nicer way...

1. Create a thread called: podcast equipment in the testing forum.
(get the ID)
2. Upload the image of the equipment to your gallery.
(get the ID)
3. On you geeklist add the item 'thread' and use the thread id and image ID.

It'll look prettier but not really do anything else. If you want to do it this way you may want to make it clear that clicking on the forum link is pointless.

Original answer

Off the top of my head - no I don't think so... unless broadcasting equipment is in the database it cannot be added as an item.

Thus you need a token item (related but not hugely popular) and instead have to tell the users what they are getting and ideally include a picture:

I do something similar on my charity listing: [UK+WW] Oxfam Games For Sale: Geeklist

Unpublished Prototype or Miscellaneous Game Accessory are both handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Pony
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to create a link to the last item in a geeklist?

I'm thinking specifically of the weekly thrift finds geeklist
Your Thrift Store/Bargain Finds: 25 - 31 March 2013

The list grows during the week as people add their finds.

If I wanted to create a link that always took people to the very last (most recent) entry in the geeklist, how would I do that?

Alternately, is there a way to structure an http address to target the last item in a geeklist? This would be useful for quickbar shortcuts, I could create a shortcut that always takes me to the most recent entry (or page). Today I've created a shortcut to the first page of the list, then I pinch/zoom (iPhone) on the first page of the list to click the number for the last page to date.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bobpony wrote:
If I wanted to create a link that always took people to the very last (most recent) entry in the geeklist, how would I do that?

No, I'm afraid this is not possible. Links on BGG are currently static and not dynamic. Best you can do is keep subscribed to the list and update your link when necessary. Though it's worth saying such a link is unlikely to be necessary for anyone who has subscribed.

bobpony wrote:
Alternately, is there a way to structure an http address to target the last item in a geeklist?

I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a way to sort all geeklist items from newest to oldest?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklists are shown in the order that their creator chooses.

Viewers cannot 'sort' the geeklist.

If you created the geeklist you can amend how it's sorted by 'edit header' and assigning a new sort style. 'Normal' is in chronological order starting with the oldest. There is no setting for newest to oldest, to my knowledge. The other options are by Rank, Average or Title. A creator can also manually move items around if they wish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Geeklists are shown in the order that their creator chooses.

Viewers cannot 'sort' the geeklist.

If you created the geeklist you can amend how it's sorted by 'edit header' and assigning a new sort style. 'Normal' is in chronological order starting with the oldest. There is no setting for newest to oldest, to my knowledge. The other options are by Rank, Average or Title. A creator can also manually move items around if they wish.

Thanks for the prompt reply Liam.

My problem is that, I have a 3 page meta geeklist which I use to post games played at my weekly meet up. Currently the sort is by "normal" (where entries are sorted by sequence; oldest to newest), but now I'm thinking to give it a new look, where when viewed, viewers will get to see the geeklist from newest to oldest.

I guess I'll have to do it manually then. Problem is, it's 3 pages long Maybe I should have sorted it that way when I started the geeklist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch!

My advice would be to start a new one with the new sorting system and simply put a BIG Bold link in the header of the old thread to direct folks to the new one.

I have a 13 page Summoner Wars geeklist and boy is editing things into it a total pain (literally). shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.